Thursday, May 30, 2024

Shepherd Flock Relationship

 Jonathan Edwards was a pastor, author, revivalist, and one of the greatest theologians in the history of our nation. He was an assistant pastor along side his grandfather who pastored the Northampton congregation for over 50 years. When he died, Edwards stepped in as the full time pastor. He served there for over two decades faithfully. 

In Edwards' farewell sermon, he commented about the special nature of the relationship between a pastor and his flock. He talked about how they would be reunited in eternity. Edwards led the congregation through the First Great Awakening where the majority of the town were saved and added to the church. 

Brenda and I have been privileged to serve 7 different congregations as pastor. We have loved those flocks deeply. We love the flock of Spring Creek dearly where we have devoted the past five years of our lives. The connections run deep. The memories are precious. The ministry has been well received. We have laughed and wept together. We have sat at the feet of Jesus together in worship and the ministry of His word.

I had a special day yesterday that deeply imprinted on my mind. It started with a pastoral visit. In the middle of our ordinary visit, the lady I was visiting leaned forward and said, "I need to talk to you about something that has hurt me deeply." She went on to relay a burden and grief she has carried for years. Her soul grief was shared painfully. Her pain penetrated my heart. I reached forward and held both of her hands and prayed with her. I felt a special connection that only a pastor can share with his beloved flock. 

I left that visit for my office. One of our people came by for some volunteer work. She came into the office to visit while waiting on some others. Our conversation turned deep. We discussed weighty personal matters and again I had the opportunity to pray for one of the members of our flock. Our mutual love for our Savior and for one another as shepherd and flock defies description. 

Later that evening, after our midweek Bible study, we got to pray for one of our young families whose young daughter is having surgery on Friday. We entered into their pain and interceded for them. I left that prayer meeting with a deep love for these people. I'm thankful God called me to this task. 

Everybody does not get to be a pastor. I am humbled and honored that God chose me to be one. Humbled because I am not worthy. Honored because it is such a high and noble calling, and there is nothing I would rather do. I love the people God allows me to pastor. When they hurt, I also hurt. When they rejoice, I also rejoice. 

In the past few days, I have sat with a family in devastating heart wrenching circumstances. I have rejoiced with a young couple at the birth of their first child. I have counseled people through troubling and confusing circumstances. I have listened as people unloaded their cares. I have prayed with several through difficult trials. Preaching and teaching is only a fraction of the pastoral responsibilities. 

Serving as a shepherd of a flock is all about relationships. I have served congregations who did not like me. There have been several who hated my guts. They refused to talk to me, gossiped about me, shot daggers at me with their eyes while I preached, and did all they could to undermine my ministry. I have also enjoyed people who loved my family. They expressed that love in many tangible ways and some still do even after we moved away years ago. 

Over the years, I have heard several pastors say they loved the ministry except for the people. PEOPLE ARE THE MINISTRY. People have different personalities, unique thoughts and ideas, and a wide variety of spiritual maturity levels. People have differences of opinions and preferences. It is not easy to navigate. I am called to work with all of them. Ministry is about relationships. About leading people to Christ. About baptisms. About hospital visits. About weddings and funerals. About love. A true pastor who shepherds his flock effectively will love that flock. Love is the foundation. The love of Jesus and the love of shepherd to his flock. That is a special unique relationship that will follow us into eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment