Monday, May 6, 2024

My Captain

 I shuffled down the aisle to find my seat on an American Airlines flight from DFW to Atlanta. Seat 30C. Only I got it wrong because another guy got it wrong. I sat in 31C. I got up when the ticketed passengers informed, I was in the wrong seat. I had to notify the guy sitting in my seat was in the wrong seat. I sat down and buckled my seat belt. If you can imagine what sardines feel like confined in a can, you get a pretty good idea of what it felt like to be wedged into that seat. 

My hopes were dashed when the flight attendant came on the intercom to inform us the flight was completely full. 200 total passengers. No empty seats. Eventually everyone found their seat and the cabin door was closed so we could taxi from the gate to make our way to the runway. The thrill of propulsion when we got ready for takeoff is thrilling as the jet engines hoisted us into air. 

The captain spoke to us about the turbulent weather we would encounter along the way and the flight attendants would not be serving us in air for their safety. Sure enough we hit rough air. We jolted up and down and from side to side. I had faith in my captain to get all of us safely on the ground to our destination. 

I never met our captain. Nor did I ever see him. I trusted him anyway to do the job. Things got interesting when we approached the Atlanta airport for touchdown. That big metal bird jolted up and down and from side to side. I don't ever recall a more turbulent approach for landing. The captain fought the winds as the plane rocked from side to side. I never feared nor worried. I trusted my captain. I sat in an aisle seat and could not see out the window. When the wheels touched the ground, it surprised me for two reasons. I did not realize we were that close to the ground. Nor did I expect such a silky-smooth landing. 

The captain did not present himself at the cabin door as we exited the plane. I never saw him. I heard him twice when he spoke over the intercom. I appreciated him though. Gratitude filled my heart because he got us all safely where we were supposed to be. 

What is true for flying is much truer for living. Jesus Christ is my Captain. He took over the controls of my life 41 years ago. There have been some turbulent tumultuous times on the journey. He has navigated all of it with precision. He has piloted me through storms and tranquility. I trust that He will get me safely home. To land eternally in heaven forever. 

I have never seen my Captain Jesus Christ. Not one time. I did meet Him initially back in October of 1983. Though I have never seen Him, I certainly have heard Him. Never audibly, but He has spoken continually through His word and into my spirt for over four decades. He has provided necessary strength, comfort, wisdom, and guidance along the way. 

I trust Him. I trust that He is more than able to get me and those I love safely to the Promise Land of Heaven. I trust my Captain to guide me wherever pleases Him. I trust my Captain to see me all the way. It does not matter what lies ahead me before I safely arrive home. My Captain will get me there. Sometimes He will fly me around and away from potentially dangerous storms. Other times He will fly me right into the middle of them and bring me safely through on the other side. I trust my Captain. 

When my final day, final hour, final minute and waning seconds come, my Captain will touch me down where I have longed to be for decades. When I land, I trust He will present Himself and say the words I have yearned to hear, "Well done good and faithful servant." What a day of rejoicing that will be when my Lord Jesus I will see. I anticipate I will fall at His feet and get lost in worship for a couple of thousands of years before anything else, because my Captain got me safely to my final destination. . 

No comments:

Post a Comment