Monday, November 15, 2021

The Old Sacred Desk

 Last week some ladies were cleaning out the flower room and came across an old piece of furniture. Not just any piece of furniture. It was the old pulpit from the old sanctuary that has been torn down for a long time. An old wooden pulpit stood behind by faithful men of God between 1949 and 1983. Those ladies were going to put it in some back room when I walked up. Immediately I claimed it for my office. There it sits nestled in a crook next to the bookshelves. A dark stained wooden pulpit small in stature but massive in legacy. 

It is 72 years old. 18 pastors stood behind that pulpit pumping out gospel truth during those 72 years. I make the 64th pastor in the 139 year history of Spring Creek Baptist Church. The rich history is not lost on me. This church was founded all the way back in 1882. We have come so far since then. Those early settlers would not believe all the changes and growth in the community as well as the facilities we enjoy. Those pastors would loved to have preached in this spacious sanctuary. Many of them would never have fathomed an indoor baptistry. They might even be envious of this office surrounded by all these books. That is all of them except Brother Bob Harper who had nearly 10,000 books of his own. He passed hundreds of them down to me. 

Brenda and I have been back here for two years and three months. We just recently became full time residents of Weatherford. Something that brought immense delight. It is still hard to believe God graciously allowed us to come back here. Those other pastors passed the pastoral baton onto me. I am humbled and honored to run with it. Only God knows how long my leg of the race will last. I want to run with all my might as long as God will let me. I love these people. I love this place. It is home. 

I think of all the Bibles and sermon notes laid on that old sacred desk. It sits in my office as a reminder of my solemn charge. Preach the word: be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with great patience and instruction. [II Tim 4:2]

That old sacred desk reminds me of another biblical admonition. Shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain but with eagerness. [I Pet 5:2]

It is my great privilege, honor, and sacred trust to preach the word and shepherd this Spring Creek flock. That old sacred desk reminds me of my solemn responsibility. One I embrace wholeheartedly with God's help. I am blessed to serve here. What a glorious treat. God has indeed allowed His lines to fall for Brenda and I in pleasant places.


No comments:

Post a Comment