Sunday, November 14, 2021

Days of Sorrow

 I stood outside a few days ago on what looked like a beautiful blue sky afternoon. I busied myself in activities and lost track of what else was happening around me. When I looked up later it surprised me to discover ominous dark clouds blowing in from the north indicating inclement weather approaching. 

That scene perfectly describes what people face on a daily basis. Their worlds may be blessed, content, and even joy filled then the storm clouds blow in. They are blindsided. Days of sorrow overtake and cloud out days of peace and happiness. When hands used to be held high in prayers of praise are now pulled down clutching their sorrowed souls. 

I experienced such a day yesterday. A day filled with sorrows. None of the sorrows were mine to experience but what I experienced through others. 

The first came with a request for prayer for a friend yesterday in a meeting. I did not know the circumstances. The news shared drove deep into my heart like a jackhammer. I felt the pain deeply and prayed with a sorrowful heart. The sting of that sad news still lingers. 

Later that same day another friend confided in me something so private and gut wrenchingly sad I could not believe it. I sat stunned. I did not know how to react. The sorrow pierced my tough exterior all the way to the core. The confession hurt. I still carry it today as I write this. Another sorrow added to the other sorrow. 

A third sorrow followed that day that I am not at liberty to capture in print. Suffice it to say it hurt as badly as the first two. I hurt for others affected. People are struggling under the weight of heavy sorrows. Death. Poverty. Failure. Stress. Inflation. Unemployment. Sin. Despair. Sorrows surround us. They swirl around like savage storms sweeping up everyone in its path. 

Our hope and help are found in God through His word. I love the truth found in Ps 42:5. We see despair. We see disturbed minds and hearts. We also find the hope and help that God offers. To put that another way, we find hope by waiting expectantly for Him. 

Let's be honest. How many like waiting? Especially when enduring sorrows? If we wait we are assured we will find help. Help means we will find deliverance and be saved. My friends need deliverance from grief, pain, disappointment, sadness, and despair. God is more than able to deliver from all of them. 

I have personally experienced God turn days of sorrow into days of praise and thanksgiving. He has even taught me to rejoice in the middle of it all. He is faithful. More than faithful. I have learned I can trust Him and depend on Him. So can you even in days of sorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment