Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Paying the Price

 A statement I read this morning is biting deep into my soul. It has been hard to chew and digest but something I really need to hear. Here is the statement. "My own view is that many are wishing for a revival but do not want it deeply enough to pay the price in fervent believing intercessions and prayer." - Selwyn Hughes

If you listen in church circles long enough somebody will inevitably start talking about revival. I have a whole shelf in my office lined with books on the subject of revival. I have other shelves of autobiographies and biographies, many of which are about those used by God in revivals in history. 

When I read Hughes' statement this morning I felt the sting of conviction. I am guilty. For decades I have longed for revival. I have even been blessed to preach three genuine revivals. Over time I have gotten busy with all sorts of things. God used that statement to convict me that I may wish for revival but I have been unwilling to pay the price for revival. 

I have seen real revival. One thing I have taken from them is that revival is costly. It is costly on the front end. It costs hours, weeks, months, and sometimes years and even decades of praying. One of my spiritual heroes is Leonard Ravenhill. He pursued God for revival his whole ministry. He prayed eight hours a day. He preached into his eighties. He wrote powerful impactful books. He did not see revival come. Ravenhill was one willing to pay the price. 

Look at the average church. How many can you identify who are willing to pay the price for revival? Does your pastor? I sure have not been. How many come to mind? Can you identify a dozen? Half a dozen? Less? We do not have revival because we are content to live without it. 

Selwyn Hughes went on to write, "And generally speaking we are far too intoxicated with our own successes and thus less dependent upon the Holy Spirit as we ought to be."

Some churches do not feel they need revival as they count attenders and large offerings. Their programs generate fine upstanding church members. There is little dependence on the Holy Spirit for life transformation. Organization, programs, and technology are cheap substitutes for the Holy Spirit. 

Make no mistake about it. There is also a price to pay when you are in the middle of real revival. It costs you dearly when you attend revival services night after night for days and weeks on end. It is costly to sustain revival through continuous praying. It is costly as God deals with His church and cleans house bringing people to repentance. 

I have seen the altar covered with dozens of people on their faces in agonizing repentance of sin. Some of those altar calls lasted for an hour or more. No manipulation. No saying, "We are just going to sing one more verse." Those altar calls in real revival were Holy Spirit initiated. Those services lasted sometimes up to three hours. Genuine revival is costly. 

Few people are willing to pay the price for revival. I had to do a great deal of repenting today. A repentance that leads to a new focus. I had to look in the mirror today and deal with my sin. How about you. Are you willing to pay the price for revival in believing intercession? Time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment