Sunday, October 7, 2018

Insulted

Our services had just ended. I greeted people at the back of the room. Once the room emptied I walked into the entry hall and saw someone angry with me. We had disagreed about a matter earlier in the morning. Nothing major but everything was not harmony.

We talked for a moment. Our disagreement continued. We had two different opinions. I moved on to gather my things so we could meet some people for lunch. When I walked out this person had made their way to my vehicle. More conversation followed and then I got insulted. I had never heard this before. "You are a lying sack of turd juice!" A parishioner spoke this to their pastor.

At first I could not believe what I had just heard. Being this all happened right after a worship gathering made it all the more shocking. Surprisingly I did not get mad or offended. Why? Simple. I knew the person who insulted me really loves me and was just venting. This love has been proven over and over again. So the words lost their sting in the backdrop of love.

We learn as children the old rhyme, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." That is flatly wrong. Words do hurt. Ask a browbeaten child. Ask spouses in loveless marriages. Ask under appreciated over criticized workers. Words hurt. To be called a "Lying sack of turd juice" is not a compliment. When I get past the words and my pride they are just words. The actions of my hostile friend have to be take-in context. My friend was very frustrated and venting. We both were accusing the other of being stubborn. We both are me especially.

In the end, our relationship is not damaged. There is still love and reconciliation will follow. If love permeated more relationships we could more easily survive insults. Jesus said we would be known by our love for one another.

John 13:34-35 (ESV)
34  A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.
35  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

No comments:

Post a Comment