Thursday, October 25, 2018

Early EncounterAt The Bay

I awoke suddenly. I rolled out of bed and put on my slippers reaching down for a sweatshirt to break the chill of the morning. I walked the few paces to my little office and flipped on the lamp taking my seat. I slid my glasses on and reached for my prayer journal. I wrote these words, "It is good to get up  early to seek You." 

With those few words I started my journey with God today. Soon I opened my Bible and began reading where I left off last time. I read multiple chapters anticipating a fresh word from Him. I read page after page and then it happened. A verse seemed to grab my attention and my heart. The truth leapt off the page into my mind and spirit. A timely verse. I highlighted and underlined the verse.

I meditated on the truth contained in that verse seeking to apply it to my life. Pondering each word and phrase. Seeking to squeeze all the juices of truth from it like squeezing juice from an orange. This was not speed reading or hurrying through a devotion. This was a God encounter.

I encountered God this morning in our home at Runaway Bay Drive in Runaway Bay, TX. I have had the same experience thousands of other times and it never gets old. God uses the truth from His word to minister to my heart. I am grateful. I am humbled. I am satisfied.

There is something special about waking early for these encounters with God. Many times I have prayer and devotions later in the day for one reason or another. They are always different. They appear to be lacking in intensity. They are not as sweet. I seem more distracted.

Not in those early morning encounters when all is quiet and I encounter God in my secret place. I prefer God's company than more sleep. In the early mornings there are no distractions. Depending on the time one awakes there is prolonged time to seek and enjoy God.

I hope you too will make time for early morning or even late night encounters with God. I hope you carve out time in your schedule to meet with Him. Prolonged time. Uninterrupted time. Your soul will benefit from it in ways you could have never imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment