Friday, September 14, 2018

The Needle Did Not Move

Brenda told me early in the week we only had $10 for the remainder of the week. Paying bills, trying to help three sons in college, driving to watch Tanner play football last weekend in college and gas expenses for driving all added up and left us with nothing extra.

When she told me on Monday I noticed I had a full tank in her suburban. I had a lot of driving to do for ministry this week. I had meetings on three different days, my regular preaching and teaching duties plus visits I wanted to make. I wondered how we would make it on that one tank of gas. By Tuesday night the needle had moved to just barely above half a tank.  I saw this as I drove to pick Turner up from football practice, a forty minute round trip. I thought ahead to all the other driving I needed to do for the remained of the week. I saw no way to make it. I asked for provision for gas.

I kid you not, the needle did not move when I picked Turner up or returned. I had a meeting the next day in another town. Again I asked God for help. I actually asked Him for gas money. The money did not come but I could not believe my eyes when after my meeting the needle still registered half a tank of fuel. I know some of you will think I am making this up. I drove over forty miles for that meeting. Suburbans use a lot of gas. It did not make sense.

I drove to teach on Wednesday and for another meeting. Still the needle hovered right at the half mark.

The following day, Thursday I had an early morning appointment and planned on making some visits.   I  wondered how I could do all of that and still have enough in the tank to get back home. This time the needle did move when I drove to my appointment. All the way down to one quarter of a tank. I wrestled with having enough to make the visits and get back home. Another prayer for gas money. I debated about skipping the visits but decided I needed to follow through.

One appointment took me on the opposite side of town. The two visits I made were relatively close to my office. I watched the needle on all of them. It did not move. It did not move again until I drove to pick Turner up from football practice again. When I got home I had one eighth of a tank left.

You will never convince me God did not somehow stretch that fuel way beyond what is physically normal to accommodate our needs this week. I stood on a promise of God. I believed Him to help but He did it differently than I expected. The miracle was the needle never moved while I ministered for Him. He stretched that tank of gas. I glorify Him for it.

I sought Him first and drove on faith to do my work. He saw and honored that faith.

Matthew 6:33 (NKJV)
33  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment