Saturday, September 8, 2018

Push The Button

It appears everyone has an agenda. Somebody somewhere is trying to push your button. They want to stir you up. Get you riled and agitated. I am no different. I write with an agenda unashamedly and unapologetically. I write to turn people to Jesus or to help those who have already turned to Him.

Somebody somewhere is pushing your button. Getting you fired up about politics, social activism, civil rights, which lives matter, what to purchase and who to boycott. People express their opinions. They write and say things to elicit a response. They know what buttons to push to created a buzz.

Marketers know how to do this. Political pundits know how to do this. Trend setters know how to do this. Fashion gurus do too. To some extent even the church knows how to do this. Some preaches know what topics to preach on to push people's buttons and get into the headlines.

We live in a noisy world. If we tried to live by all the prevailing philosophies of the day we would exhaust ourselves. Buy this. Boycott that. Eat here. Boycott there. Vote for this one. Shout that one down. Watch this. Ignore that. Learn this. Unlearn that. It never ends.

So I come with a strong message today. If your button has been pushed by someone on social media, some company, some politician, some Hollywood personality, some athlete then I say listen carefully. You have the power. The power right at your fingers. If someone is pushing your emotional buttons you have the power to silence all the noise. All you have to do is.......push the button. Turn it off. Click off social media, turn the television off, put your phone down.

I don't know everything going on in the world because I choose not to watch much television. What I did see a couple of days ago on a sports channel made me choose not to watch more. Sorry. I rarely read what you post on social media. I don't follow anyone. I strive to follow Jesus Christ. [Matt 16:24] I have the power to turn off newscasters with their agendas. I have the power to not be shaped by the opinions of others by pushing my own button. I have the power not to be goaded into wanting to buy the newest latest anything when I choose to push the button. I click the off button on the remote or the exit button on my computer. I can even choose to power down my phone. At that point everyone is powerless to get to me.

If you don't like what I write you have the power to push the button to quit reading. I respect your right to do so. Like I said earlier, I too have an agenda. An agenda to point people to Jesus. It is the only reason I use social media. To get the message out to more people. If you are offended then just push the button.

You have the power to silence the noise just by pushing the button. Even in your vehicle. While driving to make a hospital visit yesterday morning I grew weary of the chatter on the radio. I pushed the button and turned off the noise. I drove in silence. It is silent as I write this. I can hear Brenda sleeping. No television. No outside noise. Just Jesus, my Bible, my computer and me this morning. I am about to push the button. With one little push these thoughts will leave the confines of this little office to be broadcast and made accessible around the world. A lot of power at the push of a button. Try pushing yours when you want to silence the noise.

John 14:6 (NKJV)
6  Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Psalm 46:10-11 (NKJV)
10  Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
11  The LORD of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah



No comments:

Post a Comment