Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Three Little Words

My prayer time was interrupted when one of our deacons came in to tell me Brenda needed to get hold of me for an emergency. My phone was on silence. I had 9 missed calls from her and a missed call from someone in Plainview, TX. That Plainview call was from the Plainview Police Department. Turns out they found Tucker's car running in an alley abandoned. Subsequent calls to locate Tucker or Tanner were unsuccessful. 

Brenda finally got through to me in a panic. I was greatly alarmed as well. I tried calling Tanner and Tucker but did not get hold of either of them. Some dark thoughts began to creep in. I told Brenda to calm down reassuring her that both our sons were probably in the bed fast asleep. The car most likely was stolen and abandoned for some reason. 

We waited on the police to do a welfare check. Time seemed to crawl. In that time I prayed something sincerely. I prayed, "God I trust you no matter what. If my sons are alive and well I trust you and praise you. If harm and even death have taken them I still praise you. I am not going to let the enemy paralyze me with fear. I will trust and praise you no matter what. Amen." 

Seconds ticked ticked away into minutes. Then a half an hour elapsed. Time marched on with no word approaching the one hour mark. After an hour I received a short text from Tucker that read, "We are ok." Three little words packed with power. Immediate relief flowed over Brenda and I in two different towns as she waited at work and I waited in Weatherford. 

Just three little word. We are ok. I entertained the thought before that at a tragic outcome and a double funeral. I anticipated withdrawing into seclusion to heal. I saw myself weeping. I resolved if my sons were dead that I would preach their funerals. Then I rejected those thoughts. I recalled all the plans we believed God had for Tanner and Tucker. Kingdom purposes. Not to be stolen by the enemy. I would not give into fear. 

Then the three words that brought relief like a rain shower cascading over our hearts and mind. It was the peace of God that surpasses all understanding. A calm tranquility that everything was ok. 

I devoted my life to my sons. I forsook hobbies most men have so as to give myself to them. If I went to a store I took one of them with me. I took each one with me on different occasions to camps I preached. I took Taylor with me on a mission trip. I took them lunch at school. I came home from the office and played with them. I was not a perfect father. I was a devoted one. I coached their teams. Rarely missed their games through junior high, high school, and college. Even as grown men I often take them out to eat one on one to reconnect with them after long absences. I gave my heart and life to those sons. I did not deserve God to protect them. I am so grateful He did. So grateful that we will hug again, say the words I love you again, laugh together again over funny family memories, and worship together when they are in town. 

Three little words brought me peace. My comforted heart rejoices over the minuscule statement we are ok. It did this aging scribe some good today to hear those words. It is well with my soul. 


No comments:

Post a Comment