Sunday, July 9, 2023

Just Say the Word

 Research shows that the average person speaks 7,000 words a day. Words of affirmation, complaints, instruction, information, correction, worship, prayer, gossip, slander, and profanity. Some words carry more weight than others. A wise person will learn to measure his or her words. 

My maternal grandmother used to tell me all the time that a fish would not get caught if it would just keep its mouth shut. I took that to mean not to talk all the time. As James wrote in the Bible, "Be quick to listen and slow to speak." [James 1:19] We live in a world where many live just the opposite. They have much to say and are quick to say it while not willing to listen to other points of view. 

Some people's words seem to carry greater weight than others. Martin Luther King Jr.'s words are still remembered to this day. Who can forget his "I Have a Dream," speech delivered in Washington, D.C. John F. Kennedy spoke of a dream of putting a man on the moon. Ronald Reagan spoke these famous words, "Tear down this wall," in his fight against communism. 

We recall memorable lines from movies and songs. Those words bring back vivid memories like, "Follow the yellow brick road," "Yo Adrian, I did it," "Here's looking at you kid," and "When a Man Loves a Woman," or "Love Me Tender." I bet most of you could identify the movie or song those lines are in. 

None of that is what is on my mind this morning. I am thinking of the words of Jesus. The power of His spoken word is greater than any force in the universe. Greater than tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, blizzards, earthquakes, nuclear weapons, and any military that ever existed. With spoken words He was part of creation, He healed, He cast out demons, He raised the dead, and He said it was finished while on the cross securing our salvation. 

In [Luke 7:1-10] a centurion had a sick slave about to die. He sent Jewish elders to Jesus for help. Just before Jesus reached his home, he sent others to tell Jesus that he was not worthy for Jesus to walk into his home. All Jesus had to do was speak the word and his slave would be healed. Just say the word. 

What word do you need Jesus to say on your behalf in your situation? Forgiveness. Healing. Comfort. Strength. Wisdom. Provision. Hope. Comfort. Counsel. Peace. Hope. Love. One little word from Jesus can change everything. One spoken word from Him and turn everything around. 

Do we really believe that? Do we pray like we believe that? 

Last year my family spent over $12,000 in car repairs. We have already spent several thousand this year in additional repairs and have one vehicle out of commission currently and need to spend more. A few weeks ago, I felt burdened to pray for my family to all get newer cars in better shape than our older ones. Six newer cars without going one penny into debt. All Jesus has to do is say the word. You may scoff at me. I am used to it. Many have scoffed at my outlandish prayers in the past. Just a few years ago I prayed a similar prayer. God provided five vehicles in a month. No joke. Five vehicles in 30 days. A Yukon, Tundra, Sonata, Optima, and Silverado. Granted they were all older with very high mileage on them.  He still answered that prayer and demonstrated His power. All Jesus has to do is say the word. 

I am a child of the King of Kings. Not a child of a pauper. Whatever I need He already possesses. His resources are unlimited. His power is irrefutable. It is no more difficult to believe God for six vehicles than it is to believe Him for one. Answering that prayer does not tax Jesus one bit. We have need for dependable transportation. We have limited funds to purchase them ourselves. God will be glorified in doing this. He has done this for us several times in the past. He can do it again. All He has to do is say the word. I believe He will do it again and I will get to brag on Him. I don't know when or how. That is not important. I just wait on Him to say the word. I hope you will do the same in your situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment