Friday, July 7, 2023

For the Love of Books

 For the eleventh time I tackled the herculean task of moving my office and library to a new office. Not to worry. We are not leaving Spring Creek. We reallocated some space and I moved my office back to where it all began here 32 years ago to the space I used back then. It has been nostalgic. 

32 years ago, I had a few dozen books. I have thousands now. Many of them I purchased. Most were given to me by retiring preachers who needed to downsize their libraries. I have been gifted with some timeless treasures. Books you cannot find at a bookstore any longer. Classics. Invaluable. I don't care about most possessions. I do care about my library. Those books in many ways are like old friends. God has used the truth in them to comfort me in tough seasons, bolster my faith to believe Him for more, and to teach me invaluable lessons. 

Turner and I began working on transferring all my books from two different locations to my new office yesterday. We started mid-morning due to a couple of meetings I had. We worked afterward until lunch. We recruited some help and worked with five to complete the job until late afternoon. I have been blessed with the most bookshelf space I have ever had in any office. I thought there would be multiple shelves left unused for further expansion. 

The piles of books kept coming. As they wheeled in box after box, I busied myself putting each book in its proper place. About the time I thought we were getting to the end of it they would tell me there were many more. I could not believe all the books and I own them. I have had just as many books in storage for the past four years as I actually had in the office. 

When it was all done, most of the shelves were full. Thousands of precious, intriguing, enticing, truth filled, and beloved books. Two thoughts race through my mind at the same time. First, I am blessed. I remember starting my library in college with half a dozen volumes. A meager beginning. I admired the libraries of two men who retired and gave me most of their books. I was humbled and grateful for such a gift. A priceless gift worth thousands and thousands of dollars. Those books are not show pieces. They are the opportunity to encounter God and to LEARN. 

The second thought that goes through my mind is conviction. Conviction of all those I have not read. Conviction of all the time I waste. Of undisciplined laziness. I hope and pray God changes that in me. I love to read. I just do not always give myself permission to do so as I get busy in other things. When I get home at night I often just want to vegetate in front of the television. With God's help I want to make a change. May He enable me to do so for the love of books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment