Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Rio Grande Revelation

 One of the exciting things we got to do at camp included a whitewater rafting trip. I got to do that back when I was in college and always counted it as one of the top fun things I had ever done. Making the trip more memorable included the fact Turner and I were getting to do it together in the same raft. 

The waters ran high from melting near record snow falls that winter. On top of that spring rains added to the intensity of the rapids. We floated down the river blissfully at times and then paddling furiously in the midst of the rapids at other times. We bounced in the air, twisted and turned, and survived rapid after rapid. To catch a break, we floated to the shore to hang out and catch our breath holding onto the reeds on the shoreline. That is when I had my God moment. 

I glanced over my shoulder beholding the massive mountain overlooking the Rio Grande. I felt so small next to such grandeur. To think God in His creative genius spoke that mountain into existence. The Rio Grande felt like God just ran His index finger through the dirt to carve out the river. There were no words to be spoken. Though on a raft with six other people, the private worship moment felt like I was all alone in a cathedral. Surrounded by mountains with boulders bigger than cars, I felt very tiny. Insignificant. Miniscule. In that moment I saw God as glorious, majestic, powerful, mighty, and awesome. 

Not long after that, I had the chance to witness to our river guide named Katie. An Irish girl from Boston, Mass who comes down each summer to give guides on the river. Katie is studying to be a teacher. Katie is not saved. She did not know how to respond when I asked her if she knew where she would spend eternity. I pointed her to Jesus as the only way to heaven with the rest of our group amening out loud. Katie did not get saved. She was flustered for a bit. I could not press the issue further because of approaching rapids. I pray she is not able to shake our conversation. 

I am grateful to have been blessed with the adventure of river rafting. I would not trade for that Rio Grande revelation of the grandeur of God. I hope it is a memory that lodges itself deep in the brain to be retrieved from time to time. To remember His greatness compared to my smallness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment