Monday, July 31, 2023

The Next Step of Faith

 I am standing on the cliff of another faith step. The cliff looks higher than I first believed. The step looks impossible. The temptation is to turn back in fear. The gentle but firm hand of God nudges me closer to the edge. I either have to trust and obey or turn running the other direction and disobey. 

Over the past three decades I have taken numerous steps of faith. The feelings are usually the same. There is great excitement and exhilaration initially when the faith step is revealed. Mind you the step is not actually required at this point. It is more of a dream for the future. Then comes the day when the step of faith has to be taken. When caution must be thrown to the wind, fears cast aside, and bold conviction to obey God by stepping out even though I am unsure as to the outcome. 

Experience has taught me that God is trustworthy. He has earned the right over and over again to be trusted and obeyed. Faith steps in the beginning were tiny. They were easy steps to take. Now they are harder. Giant leaps instead of little steps. The stakes are higher. The things to believe God for are more mountainous than ever. The glory of God that stands to be promoted is greater than ever as well. 

My faith step will require many others to take some faith steps as well. It will require great commitment and maybe even sacrifice. It is one thing for me to step out. It is more sobering to call others to do the same. 

It is my conviction that the great works of God happen on the other side of faith steps. For example; Noah building the ark required faith.  [Heb 11:7] So did Abram leaving his country. [Heb 11:8] Moses holding his staff in the Red Sea trusting God to make a way of escape for Israel. [ Ex 14] David facing down Goliath. [I Sam 17] Elijah bravely battling the prophets of Baal in a test to see who the real God was. [I Kings 18] The disciples following Jesus. [Mark 1:17] Paul laying his life down to follow Jesus. [Acts 20:24] God required each one to face something impossible. They trusted God and watched Yahweh do something extraordinary in response to their faith filled obedience. 

 Past steps of faith have resulted in God's provision, revivals, souls saved, and kingdom of God expansion. Here I stand at the threshold of another step of trust. He has not failed me in the past. Though my pulse quickens and fear tries to conquer faith, I will leap in blind belief convinced I am doing so at His bidding. I trust Him with the results. If I crash and burn I will do so having believed God. If God blesses I will humbly give all glory to Him for the great things He does. There is no turning back. I gave God my yes a long time ago. The decision has already been made. Here I go again. See you on the other siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!

No comments:

Post a Comment