Monday, July 15, 2019

Snapshot With The Heart

I had just finished preaching a passionate message and giving the listeners an opportunity to respond. I prayed to conclude the service and then asked to congregants to pause for about ten seconds before dismissing. They had no idea why I asked that. While they sat there quietly for those ten seconds I took snapshots in my heart to preserve that memory in my mind. I desired to imprint that moment and occasion on my heart and in my mind forever. A momentous occasion. It was no ordinary service. A memory I wanted to preserve.

How many life moments pass and we never take the time to enjoy them, treasure them or the people we share those moments together. Moments like Brenda reaching under the covers and taking my hand in the middle of the night. Like just the two of us enjoying a quiet meal after church. Like the pastoral visit I made early Saturday morning. I did not know what I would never get to see that person again as they passed into eternity the following day. I took a snapshot with my heart as I stood by the bedside and prayed.

Looking back I can see multiple snapshots in my mind of our family over the years. Days filled with laughter, joy and memories of little boys running and playing. Now those snapshots are made of grown men transitioning out of our home and into the adult world of responsibility. I desire to take it all in. Each meal together. Each holiday shared. Each special birthday celebrated. I treasure one on one time with my sons. I relish grown up conversations about what matters in their lives. I know one day they will have families of their own and come home less and less often. They will get so busy with their own families and work they will not call and not have time to stop by for a visit. So I take snapshots with the heart.

I do the same with congregations. In my mind I can see the Heritage flock as I stand behind the beautifully handmade pulpit. I recall grand days and the moving of God's Spirit. I recall days of love and laughter. I recall being recipients of their love and generosity on more than one occasion. I do the same for the flocks at Faith Community, FBC Seminole, FBC Paradise, CentrePointe Community and Burke. I do so for Spring Creek Baptist Church as well as Rochelle Baptist Church. Each holds fond memories of dear people who mean so much to me.

It is easy to take people and life for granted. One way to combat that is to take snapshots with the heart. To intentionally make the effort to capture moments and imprint those memories. Like I did last week with my friend Eric on another ministry trip together. Those trips with him are one of God's great blessings in my life. Like phone conversations I have with my friend Jimmy as I benefit from his wisdom.

To take snapshots with the heart you must walk through life a little more slowly. Take in the surroundings. Enjoy the sights, smell, touch, taste and sounds around you. Do it while you can. I challenge you to do it at least once today. Make a memory and take a snapshot of the heart with family and or friends. One day even ordinary things will be looked back with great fondness. Make a memory photo album of snapshots of the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment