Thursday, July 18, 2019

Going Home Again

Brenda and I got to go to a ministry home recently. A place where we cut our teeth in ministry and started our marriage 28 years ago. We saw people we have loved for near three decades. We laughed. We prayed. We worshiped. We dug into the scriptures. I left that day overjoyed.

Nearly three decades ago I dreamed about a day I might preach in that church. Over the years God has allowed that to happen many times. None felt as rewarding and enriching as this past time. I stood behind the pulpit and looked out over the sparse congregation. Outwardly I may have looked focused as I began the message. Inwardly I kept thinking, "I can't believe God you are letting me do this after all these years."

The message was average at best. Nobody moved forward during the invitation. I only got one, "Good job," from a deacon afterwards. None of that mattered. I was home. I was among people I love. Brenda and felt at home.

Later that afternoon I sat in the sanctuary alone before the evening service to pray. Just sitting in that sacred room stirred me to humility and gratitude. Looking at the baptistry brought back memories. Looking at the pulpit brought back memories of the many times I preached behind it. I also recalled my former pastor there and the last pastor who is a personal friend of ours. Looking at the beautiful woodwork reminded me of what a great church that is. Not the building, even though it is beautiful and spacious. The people are great. I admire them. I respect them. I love them. They are like family.

My mind raced back to my wedding day in a different location but, I recall many of them attending. I recall special events, prayer meetings, revival meetings, and fellowshipping over lunch with a couple of families. I recall lifelong deep friendships were built there. What a delight to minister there again. I felt true joy. A blessing more than I can put into words. Like I said. It was like going home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment