Friday, July 19, 2019

My Long Held Dream

For decades I've carried a dream in my heart and mind. It has kept me awake at night. It has been the subject of countless hours of prayer. It is has driven me in my ministry since the mid 1980s. I've given the better part of my life to the pursuit of this dream. Brenda and I have moved all over Texas chasing this dream. We have met many wonderful people who partnered with us in the pursuit of our dream.

In close to three decades I know tens of thousands of hours have been given to my long held dream. Early mornings. Late nights. Full days. We have seen glimpses. We have tasted small bites of the dream and relished the experiences. We have also had our hearts broken and drank the bitter cup of disappointments. Trust me it has been a bitter cup. Deeper and more bitter than I can ever put into words.

There were times when I lost the dream. There were times when the vision I held so long in my heart nearly died. This is not that day. The dream burns in me bright as it has ever burned before. The door of opportunity is opening and my dream burns hotter and more clearly than ever.

Three decades ago I sat in classrooms studying the Bible as a young preacher boy. My mind often drifted from those lectures given by educated professors to a dream planted by God deep in my heart. Sometimes it is a wonder I ever graduated from all that day dreaming. I spent free hours in the library not working on assignments but reading books. Books on revival, prayer and the church.

I spent hours in tucked away niches reading and daydreaming. Many times I wrote down prayers. So I have carried this long held dream for close to 20 years.

What is the dream? It hasn't changed. It comes straight out of the scriptures. I've devoted my adult life to it. I pledge my remaining days to it as well.

Acts 2:42-47 (NASB)
42  They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
43  Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles.
44  And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common;
45  and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need.
46  Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart,
47  praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.

It is my dream to build such a church. It is my dream to pastor and lead such a church. I rededicate to that vision. Yes there have been setbacks but I believe a new day is dawning. Eagerly do I devote myself to this one simple dream. To build a God glorifying church like the very first one found in Acts. May the Lord build it and let me play a small part in it. My long held dream is alive and well.



No comments:

Post a Comment