Monday, July 29, 2019

My First Day

Like an excited school boy awaiting the first day of school I awoke early today. Wide awake. I knew I would not go back to sleep. So I got up to get ready to come to the office at my new ministry. Brenda heard me and asked, "Are you going this early?" I told her I was indeed. I did not tell her the excitement in my heart. Giddy would be the appropriate word.

It is an hour commute. It flew by. I prayed. Sang. Meditated. When I arrived the sun still had not risen. I used my cell phone to find the right key to get in the building. I had several things to bring inside and made several trips.

I did not notice the surprise waiting for me in the office at first. A new brown executive office chair sat behind the desk. Just night before I researched office chairs and planned on shopping for one and purchasing one today. I did not want to ask the church for one and I had planned on buying a brown one. Just a little reminder that God indeed orchestrated my coming back here.

I spent the past several hours praying, studying, visiting with a key member, meeting the leaders of the home school coop that meets here on Mondays and trying to find the wifi password. Now that I have it I can be off and running writing to my heart's content.

I feel like I am surrounded by old friends with a good portion of my books lined on the shelves. I still have five shelves full back in my home office but ran out of room here but I got the majority of them. I have already read some theology commentaries in preparing for the Sunday message. It has been a rewarding day and I am just getting started. My heart is full and my cup runs over.

I don't know why God is so good to me. I learned over 100 applicants applied to serve here. For some reason God chose me. Through a thorough process the search committee felt assured we were God's choice. I am mindful somewhere there are many other applicants disappointed and feeling rejected. Those candidates may wonder if God is ever going to open a door for them. I believe He will in time. He did for us. Not just a door. A door I dreamed about Him opening for a long time. I honestly really didn't believed this day would come. I hoped it would over the years but I did believe it would really happen. Not until this summer.

Now I sit at a desk in the official capacity of pastor. I will miss so many from Heritage. I tried to express my love to them. It is still sad that I will knot get to shake their hands and hug their necks. I sat by one yesterday just to communicate my love one more time. Instead of doing that I startled her at first. Not how I intended that to go.

Nevertheless, here I am. In a dream position. Doing what I love to do with some people I already love and others I will get to know and love in time. What a first day. A blessed first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment