Tuesday, July 9, 2019

I Sinned Before We Even Left The Parking Lot

The trip got marked on my calendar months ago. An invitation to come preach the word of God to students on a mission trip. I accepted and as I write this I am actually on that trip.

After an emotional day at our church I hurried to load the bus and make the four hour trip south to Lockhart, TX just outside of Austin. My old comrade Eric Adcock and I once again joined forces to build the kingdom of God. Before we left I pulled him aside and said, "I am willing to do anything you ask on this trip except painting. I do not want to paint."

On the first night while preaching about consecrating our lives to God and repenting of sin conviction came. I knew in that moment my attitude was wrong. I confessed it publicly. How could I go on a mission trip and not be willing to serve. To do anything Jesus asked of me.

Yesterday morning they divided us up into three teams to go out and serve on three different projects. It just so happens providentially designed by God my team was assigned to go paint. Once on site I opened a five gallon bucket of paint and paint splattered it all over my hands and shirt. Just seconds into the project and the very thing I loathe about painting happened. Within a couple of minutes I had paint on my boots and jeans. I just hung my head and thought, "Only for You Jesus."

I hate painting. For two summers in college I had a job painting the inside of dorm rooms. Eight hours a day. Five days a week. I could never fully get the paint off my hands and of course paint stains ruined some of my clothes. Not glamorous for the upcoming preacher boy. Over thirty years later I needed a little further instruction from the Lord in the classroom of painting. Before all was said and done I painted rooms in every dorm on campus. As much as I hate painting and vow I will never do it again God puts me in positions where He requires me to paint something else.

While waiting the fence we were assigned to paint at a nursing home I chose to paint with excellence and give God my very best. I pained for His glory. At times it seemed I got just as much paint on me as on the fence but I tried to paint with excellence along with the students who labored by my side. My boots will never be the same.

My sin was a sin of attitude. God brought it to my attention and convicted me that it needed to change. Do church members not do the same things. We pledge our lives to Jesus and then start dictating what we will and will not do. God calls His people to be servants. Jesus set the example of servanthood when He bent His holy knees to wash the disciples feet. We are certainly not greater than Him. We should be willing to do whatever He asks. We should be willing to take on the tasks most prefer to avoid. Serving is not always glamorous. Many times serving is a thankless job. Few notice. Jesus notices. He takes account.

So let us serve and shine while doing so. Let us do all to the glory of God, even painting. Let us do good works and shine the light of Jesus in this dark world so they will see our good works and not glorify us but God. [Matt 5:16]

No comments:

Post a Comment