Saturday, December 8, 2018

28 Days To Trust And Obey - Day 8

There are times in life when our journey comes to an abrupt halt. We may be merrily on our way through life when suddenly we encounter an obstacle that stands in the way of our destination. Looking up we see the sheer size of the mountain that sits between where we are and where we are going. Climbing over the top of the mountain looks daunting and at times is impossible would take longer than we care to traverse the top even if we could. To alter our course and journey around the mountain would waste precious life and would take too long. There is only one other option and that is to call out to the Mountain Mover.

There is a God who exists and begs to be trusted with the most difficult of trials in life. His power is beyond comprehension. Mountains are but stepping stones for Him. He is massive. He is so strong that all He has to do is speak and what He wills comes to pass even if it requires moving your mountain or mine. He is able to move any mountain. I cannot tell you why at times one person’s mountain is moved while another one’s mountain seems to linger. Trials are abundant and the load people are forced to carry is staggering. That does not alter the fact that God is still a Mountain Mover.

My whole Christian life I have faced one mountain or another. Most of them seem to come in the financial form but I have faced the mountains of the death of my parents, a sister, and grandparents. I have known the sinking feeling of unemployment and the hopelessness of mounting bills and a shrinking income. I have battled the dark thoughts of depression while clinging to a shred of my faith. I have stared paralyzed in despair at mountains of every sort and size.

Even as I sit in my office I am staring at several other mountains. They are large as some mountains go. From my perspective I see no way around it or over it but I do know the Mountain Mover. As I was reading Mark 11:22 this morning I was captured by the words, “Have faith in God!” People talk a lot about that but to take that to heart and to live your life according to that principle is easier said than done. Have faith in God. Trust God in all of life. Live with the firm assurance that God will come through. Journey through life with the rock solid conviction that God is trustworthy and He is a Mountain Mover.

Do you and I really believe that? At the core of our being do we really believe that God is able and that He will move our mountains when we trust Him for it? Let’s be honest. All of us have known people who had mountains but they were not moved. People die. There are ones who have prayed fervently for God to heal and they watched helplessly as their loved ones slipped into eternity. There are those who have prayed fervently for their businesses to turn around only to watch their dreams, hopes, and faith go down the drain. There are countless people who prayed for the restoration of their marriages only to watch spouses traipse off to the divorce court without any seemingly remorse. Farmers have cried out to God to send rain but stood by watching their crops burn up wondering why God did not help. I have seen many mountains that were not moved.

So in light of all of that, how can I be so confident that God will come through and move my mountains or your mountains when we need Him to? What makes me so sure that if I trust Him – God will intervene and be the mountain mover I need him to be?  The one you need Him to be. In essence it is His character. God can only be faithful for that is His nature. What about those situations I just mentioned above. How is God faithful when the rain does not come, the marriage is not restored, and the body is not healed? We may not interpret His work in this world as being faithful. There are many unanswered questions and whys that haunt all of us. Still God is faithful. He works His plans and accomplishes His purposes and moves the mountains when they need moving and leaves them where they are when they serve His purposes. His thoughts and His ways are higher than ours [Ps 55:8-9]. Again it comes down to having faith in God. [Mark 11:22]I am referring to a deep seated trust in the darkest of nights, the most confusing of circumstances and the hardest of times.
I have spent the better part of the last twenty five years walking by faith. It has been a hard road. The trials never stop. They are relentless. I no more than see God answer one prayer and move one mountain than I look down the path and there are others standing in my way bigger than the last one. It is wearisome at times. It is only wearisome because there are times when I choose not to have faith in God and try to figure it out for myself. I have become adept at praying prayers with my solutions attached and trying to convince God to do it my way which He never does. He knows what He is doing and does not need my help.

Today I sit looking at other mountains. They are big and there is no way around them. I have no answers or solutions. The truth is I have been forced to learn to walk by faith. It has not been my choice most of the time. I have faced numerous mountains that left me no other choice but to cry out to the Mountain Mover for help in faith. In His time and in His way He comes through. I am often amazed, always humbled, and awed by the power and creativity of God in moving my mountains.

What mountain or mountains are you facing today? Do you have faith in God? I am not referring to some sentimental feelings but rather rock solid conviction that God is your Mountain Mover. That is what I believe because I have no other options or choices. He has put many mountains in my path to strengthen my faith and to bring more glory to Him. I can promise you that if I had not experienced first hand the power of God I would be one of the first to cry foul and testify that Christianity is a farce. In integrity I cannot do that. God has, does, and will continue to be my mountain mover.

Today I am going to relax, ask the Mountain Mover to come to my aid, and sit back and wait on Him to intervene. I don’t know how it will happen or even when it will come to pass but I know God will move my mountain. Trust Him today to move yours as well.

Steps To Trust And Obey

1. How would you define faith?
2. Read Hebrews 11:1.
3. How does your definition line up with that verse?
4. What THINGS do you need to trust God to do for you?
5. Do you believe your God is able to do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment