Sunday, December 2, 2018

28 Days To Trust And Obey - Day 1

Few of us really know or understand the power of prayer. We have read about it. We have studied prayer. Do we fully grasp the power God has allowed us to access through supplicating? When we tap into prayer we are tapping into every resource of God. His power. His might. His wisdom. His strength. His provision.

Today I share a story about the power of prayer. A military general got engaged in a heavy strategic battle. A fierce skirmish where the enemy hunkered down to defend their ground. Just about the time the general and his army began to make some headway the sun started going down. The general knew if the sun set the opposition would retreat under the cover of darkness and regroup to fight another day.

The general prayed. A very unusual prayer. An insensible prayer. That is what happens when you are desperate. You will pray insensible prayers because you face insurmountable obstacles.

Here is the exact prayer word for word.

Joshua 10:12-14 (NKJV)
12  Then Joshua spoke to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel: "Sun, stand still over Gibeon; And Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon."
13  So the sun stood still, And the moon stopped, Till the people had revenge Upon their enemies. Is this not written in the Book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day.
14  And there has been no day like that, before it or after it, that the LORD heeded the voice of a man; for the LORD fought for Israel.

Sun stand still. Impossible. Illogical. Unreasonable. Unfathomable. Joshua prayed it anyway! Furthermore, God answered!

What sun stand still prayer are you making before God as you start on this faith journey? Mine is simple. I am praying for my wife to get a new vehicle. Another suburban. Her current car as 330,000 miles on it. Yet I am not praying that we might find a good deal at a dealership and go finance such a vehicle. No. I am praying a sun stand still prayer. That God would bless us with such a vehicle debt free. 

Our mechanic who has worked on Brenda's 2003 suburban for the past 15 years told us recently it is time to look for another vehicle. The mechanical integrity of the vehicle is compromised. Our finances at this time do not allow us to go in debt on a vehicle. So I pray a sun stand still prayer. "Lord, I ask you to bless Brenda with another suburban for your glory and the use of your kingdom." 

You may think that is a foolish prayer. It was also foolish back in 1987 when I prayed something similar in college. The Munden family from Rochelle, TX blessed me with an old Chevrolet Caprice Classic. I prayed that same prayer in 1999 when my Chevrolet S-10 truck rolled 207,000 miles on it and I traveled full time as an evangelist. After months of prayer God blessed me with a used Jeep Grand Cherokee from the Willis family of Lufkin, TX. Again I prayed that same prayer in 2009 when I did not have my own personal vehicle. Seven months later God answered in dramatic fashion and I got a black four door Silverado that Tucker drives today.  I trust what He did before He can do again. 

Pray your audacious sun stand still prayers. God just might answer in an audacious awe inspiring way in response. 

No comments:

Post a Comment