Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Wounded Warriors

 From time to time you see wounded warriors. They faced disfigurement or amputation of limbs because of their military service. What is not visible on the outside is the PTSD many suffer daily. War is hard and there are many casualties. 

That is not what I have on my mind today. I sat at lunch yesterday with a group of pastors. In the beginning the talk was superficial. I did not know those other pastors well. I listened a lot. The talk took a dramatic turn at some point. The talk got real. Some deep wounds and burdens were shared. I don't know why, but I got to pray for these other men individually at different times. It was a privilege. I felt their pain. God moved me with compassion for these other wounded soldiers few notice. 

Pastors are expected to have their acts together. Pastors suffer too. They get wounded. Sometimes they give themselves away when they have nothing left to give. They suffer silently because many of them have no one to talk to about their problems. I'm thankful for a great wife who listens and for a band of brothers I lean on heavily in tough times. 

Pastors listen to other's problems. Few take the time to listen to them. Pastors get attacked by people and demonic forces. I wonder if they feel like they are battling alone. Pastors are the object of gossip. People spread lies without confirming the facts. Many times pastors remain silent and do not defend themselves. Sometimes others come to their defense. Pastors struggle with sin like everybody else. They feel the pressure to present a good public image, even if they know the truth is something altogether different. 

Pastors preach their guts out weekly. They do not always see people respond publicly. Many pastors feel like failures. The churches they serve are not growing and the finances are often inadequate. Like I said earlier, they are wounded warriors. They carry heavy loads. They deal with everything from triumphs in life to tragedies. They officiate weddings and funerals. They listen to others who suffer. They pray for their parishioners. They face the weekly pressure of needing to get the next sermon together. Sometimes they get wounded along the way like the two brothers I ate with yesterday. Your pastor needs your prayers and encouragement. You just might be a healing balm for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment