Saturday, May 20, 2023

Invisible

 The word invisible is defined by something that is not able to be seen. We cannot see the wind. We can feel it and see the force of it, but wind is invisible. We cannot see God. At least I never have. Nor have I seen Jesus with my physical eyes. I sense His presence. I see the evidence of His moving. What about people?

Some people are invisible. I do not mean they are not able to be seen. I mean something far more tragic. They just are not noticed. They blend in. They get lost among the crowds. They are overlooked. They are ignored. Not considered worthy of anyone's attention. They are always on the outside of the group looking in. They are outcasts, isolated, rejected, marginalized, and forgotten. 

Recently I heard a woman bemoaning this fact on her job. She said, "I am one of the invisible people nobody sees or notices." I talked to her supervisor, and she related that is how her whole department feels. Invisible. Treated like they are not even there. Not even a human being. They are taken for granted. Rarely given any appreciation. 

Jesus sees the invisible of this world. He did when his sandaled feet kicked up dust on this planet. He saw the lepers, the demon possessed, the immoral, the crippled, and deformed. He not only saw them. He gave them His attention. He talked to them. He healed many of them. He did not look right through them as if they were not even there. 

Invisible people have worth to God. He loved them enough to send Jesus to die for their redemption. They have worth. Our society tends to look right past the custodian, the food industry worker, the lawn care employees, the waiters and waitresses.

Jesus lived with His eyes wide open to see people. Far too many Christians live their lives with eyes closed to what they think are insignificant and therefore invisible people. The world is filled with pretty, popular, powerful, and prestigious people. Those are not the people I see Jesus drawn to in the gospel books. He went to those others rejected and avoided. 

I tend to notice the workers others take for granted. I see the ones outcast from the rest. I am aware of those who feel invisible and insignificant. Why? I have felt that way many times in my life and I did not like it. 

Jesus embraces invisible people. Jesus befriends those with no friends. Jesus loves the unlovely. Jesus is our example. May He open our eyes to invisible people all around us. May He move us to reach out to them and let them feel loved and appreciated. That is the way of Christ followers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment