Friday, March 17, 2023

Stroll Down Memory Lane

 God allowed me the privilege to spend a little time in a town where I previously served as pastor today. I had the chance to reconnect with my former secretary at that church. I had the chance to hire her. It was one of the smartest decisions God directed me to make. She was and is such a blessing. I had the chance to sit and visit with her and her husband for over an hour. 

It felt a little surreal walking around the refurbished church facilities. Around every corner and in each room a memory surfaced in my mind. So many memories. So much of God working in that place. I vividly remembered the interview in that church and the invitation to come in view of a call. I recall the attendance board that day. I also recall the attendance board on that last day had quadrupled from our first Sunday because of the mighty work of God. I recall my last sermon in that church when I wept like a baby in the pulpit. It has been some time since I was last in this neck of the woods. 

We recalled some good times and not so pleasant times. We caught up on family members. Out of respect I left not wanting to hog all their time. It sure did this old pastor some good to sit with people I still love and enjoy. The fellowship did not end there. 

I scheduled a lunch appointment with a man from that church that Brenda and I are very close to him and his wife. We ate slowly and talked a lot. We laughed, joked, talked about serious health issues, the church, and Spring Creek. We both agreed the fellowship was way better than the food. 

With a little time to kill before my next appointment I drove to the local library where I whipped out this computer and jotted down some thoughts. Thoughts about wonderful memories. Times of great triumph. Also, times of some agonizing defeats. Souls were saved. The church grew in dramatic fashion, we embraced God ordained mission opportunities, and we also dreamed together about God's preferred future. We enjoyed a very sweet and fruitful ministry there. God moved us a long time ago. A part of my heart lingers with those wonderful people. 

Paul exhorts us in Phil 3:12-14 to forget what lies behind us. I do not think he meant for us to forget the meaningful people from our past. We have a wide path of former parishioners to remember fondly. People who loved us, served us, blessed us, encouraged us, and dreamed God's dream with us. People I cannot forget. They have a new pastor who is doing a wonderful job. I applaud him. 

Many people come and go out of our lives over time. Some of them make deeper impressions than others. The ones I got to see today made huge impressions on Brenda and I. These are people who are worthy of praise, honor, and our fondest memories. People we still love. What a joyous blessing to get to reconnect with a few of them today. I enjoyed my stroll down memory lane. 


No comments:

Post a Comment