Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Lessons From the Flu

 I started coughing last Friday morning. I officiated at a graveside service around 10:00 a.m. . The weather changed that morning with a cold front dropping temperatures 40 degrees. It also rained. 

The longer the day lingered the worse I felt. I preferred to remain in bed on Saturday morning, but it was senior day at Wayland for Tucker. I was there for his first game and there was no way I was going to miss his last game. 

Normally I drive to and from Plainview. I could not on Saturday. Brenda had to do most of the driving. I questioned what I should do about Sunday. Should I try and preach or get someone else. I felt even worse on Sunday morning and got people to fill in for my responsibilities. I hated missing. 

It is now Tuesday. I willed myself to come to the office. I am not still not whole. At one point I wrapped myself in a blanket and just sat here with my eyes closed. The flu is not enjoyable. There are lessons I am learning from this bout of sickness. Let me share them with you. 

1. The flu reminds me I depend on God for everything. For my next breaths. For my health. For provision. For strength to labor for Him. It is easy to take all of that for granted when healthy. To just wake up without a thankful heart for the gift of the day and for His revelation. Getting sick forces me to not take those things for granted. 

2. The flu is teaching me to be patient. I don't have time to be sick in my estimation but God had other plans. Not feeling well has forced me to slow down and rest. It has forced me to recall that many times healing is a process with God more than an instantaneous event. Either way I am waiting on Him. I ma learning to perseverance through the process of healing. It's taking longer than I like. 

3. The flu is teaching me to empathize with others who are sick and suffering. I can identify with how they feel and how disconnected they can feel from others. I have not felt well in several days. There are others who have not felt well in decades and they still love and seek God. Their examples inspire me. I have no excuses. My heart hurts more for those who hurt. 

4. The flu is teaching me how much the Spring Creek Flock loves me. Several have called, texted, and sent cards to encourage me. Those things are very meaningful. 

5. The flu is a test. A test for God to prove what is really true about my character. It is my intention to pass this test. Many say adversity builds character. I heard a coach say that adversity also reveals character. What do I really believe about God when things are not going my way. I believe He is faithful and will eventually bring me through this test like He has for many years. Through Jesus I'm resolved to pass this test. 

I am sure if I thought long enough I could come up with several others. This will suffice to get the point across. God can use adversity to teach us valuable spiritual lessons. What might He be teaching you today through your own adversity? May we all learn our lessons well and pass the test. 

No comments:

Post a Comment