Friday, May 28, 2021

Saluting Snoopy

 I came across an interesting site today while running some errands. I saw a wooden cut out of Snoopy and Woodstock in a yard. Snoopy wore an army green soldier shirt and cap. He stood at attention saluting three small white wooden crosses. It reminded me this is Memorial Day weekend. 

Memorial Day. The symbolic beginning of summer. Grills get fired up, meat gets cooked and consumed, many go the lake, and families gather. Not all families gather. Some will never gather with a deceased son, daughter, husband, wife, sibling or friend again until eternity. For these families Memorial Day has a much deeper meaning. 

As we are right in the middle of graduation season, my youngest will walk the stage tomorrow Lord willing, people choose their next steps. High school graduates decide between career, college, or enlistment. Many choose to enlist in one of the branches of the military. They take an oath to protect and defend this country and the Constitution of the United States. Some pay the ultimate price for keeping that oath. They exchange their life for the benefit of people like me to get the freedom to do what I do.   

I think of Nay and Air Force enlisted getting attacked at Pearl Harbor. Thousands died that day. More would follow as they stormed the beaches of Normandy and through the dark dreary days of World War II. Anxious families spent sleepless nights and lifted up unending intercessions for their loved ones protection. Some got the dreaded knock on the door from a soldier to bring the bad news. More have died in the seemingly never ending war on terrorism. Brave men and women are deployed in hostile environments where they are ambushed, betrayed, and caught in battle after battle. 

The sad outcome is manifested when flag draped coffins are unloaded off airplanes to awaiting and grieving family members. It is a horrid scene. Parents cry in sorrow before the casket of their child. Wives and husbands wail in anguish and cling to the flag draped coffin. Children, often too young to understand, stand bewildered not comprehending. That is the real truth behind Memorial Day. Some would chide, "It is a man made holiday." A well deserved one in my opinion. 

It is raining outside. I sit here dry and comfortable in my office. Right across the street is the Spring Creek cemetery. I saw cub scouts gather there this week to put out flags on the grave sites of those who served in the military. Little red, white and blue flags litter the grave yard. Another reminder of what this holiday represents. Freedom does not come cheaply. Many have died trading in their lives as a deposit that I could pursue and live out the dream of freedom for my family. 

I am humbled. Grateful. I remember. I hope you will take a little time to reflect and do the same. Go a step beyond and pray for grieving families and for our military deployed around the world. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND SACRIFICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment