Saturday, May 22, 2021

Blindsided by Love

 Back in February a group hosted a Valentine's party in our Family Life Center. Several red heart shaped helium filled balloons escaped and have remained clinging to the ceiling like velcro. It has been impressive that they have stayed up this long. People comment about their staying power. Little did I know I would have a personal encounter with one of those balloons that would inspire this blog. 

This past week I walked in the gym to do my afternoon workout. I noticed one of the balloons hovering just above the ground about a foot off the floor. The balloon did not hover in the direction I headed, so I forgot all about it. Later I moved to another section of my workout which required me to leave the weight room and go back into the gym. I thought about the hovering balloon. I could not see it anywhere and thought maybe someone else got it and threw it in the trash. 

Sitting between sets with puddles of perspiration forming on the floor dripping from my nose and hands, I saw the red heart shaped balloon out of the corner of my eye. It drifted to my left floating in my direction. I took my eye off it for a moment to collect my breath and then looked back. Surprisingly that red heart shaped balloon kept floating in my direction. I watched it get within 20 feet and then ten and unexpectedly  gently floated right into my leg. 

A flash of inspiration hit me. That is exactly what the heart of God did to me back in 1983. He sent His love and heart to me in the form of a bold student minister who shared the gospel with me. I did not take one step that day to get closer to God. What did God do? He sent His heart and love to me through a messenger named Eli. He brushed His love and heart right up against me. I could not ignore it any more than I could ignore the red heart shaped balloon floating right up to my leg. 

Many verses fill my mind. John 3:16. Romans 5:8. Ephesians 2:1-10. All of these passages abound with the love of God and His desire to rescue men, women, teenagers, and children from their sin. He did that for me. He sent His love to me when I was not even looking for it. You could say He blindsided me with His love back in October of 1983. 

He reminded me of that blindsided love through a simple red heart shaped balloon. In a very tangible way, I got blindsided by love all over again. That is why I have pledged my allegiance to Jesus. That is why I try to live on mission for Him. That is why I exist; to bring as many others to Him as possible. I rejoice that this day, May 22, 2021 somewhere on this planet God is blindsiding people with His love. His family will grow today as people trust Him for salvation. What a party Heaven will throw as a result. Remember, there is more joy in Heaven over one sinner who repents than over 99 righteous who need no repentance. [Luke 15:7] Rejoice that many will be blindsided by love today and in worship gatherings all over the world this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment