Monday, February 15, 2021

Come Let Us Reason

 I have lived in Texas most of my life. I spent one summer working in Florida and one summer working in Georgia in different churches as a summer intern. I am well acquainted with heat waves and consecutive days of triple digit heat. On a few rare occasions, I have seen snow. Not very often in deep east Texas among the pine trees where I grew up. I can only recall a couple of times seeing snow as a child. We got all we could out of those snow days. Snow men. Snow balls. Snow cones, but if the snow was discolored if you know what I mean. 

That made the snow storm of this past Sunday all the more interesting to watch. Several times I made my way to the dining room window just to watch. What started as a few flurries soon became a heavy down pour. It reminded me of the mission trip I took to Canada in December and saw heavy snow. 

I watched my front yard turn from brown, to beige as the dead grass and snow mixed, and eventually completely white. Several inches fell blanketing everything. I ventured outside in it to take a picture this morning and was glad I wore my boots. Everything looked pure. Clean. Crisp. Pristine. 

I thought of a Bible verse. 

Isaiah 1:18 (Webster's Bible)
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins are as scarlet, they shall be white as snow, though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool. 

Just like the snow covered the ground and made everything white, so the blood of Jesus does that for the hearts of people who turn to Him for salvation. He takes dirty, sin stained, soiled hearts and makes them white with His righteousness. [II Cor 5:21] It is a beautiful miracle. A wondrous miracle. A miracle we have celebrated several times in recent days at Spring Creek. 

I am thankful for this visual reminder through nature of the spiritual reality of what Jesus has done for many and continues to do for those who trust Him today. Go ahead. Look outside to a spot where no car has driven, where nobody or no thing has walked. Look at the whiteness and then reflect that is exactly what Jesus did in your heart when you asked Him to save you and cleanse you. What a beautiful scripture. What a beautiful reminded on this chilly February day. As white as snow. Forgiven. Clean. Pure. May we never look at snow the same way again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment