Monday, July 6, 2020

Tests Build Testimonies

Teddy was a star football quarterback. He excelled at every level of football. He got drafted to play in the NFL. His performance looked promising. People projected his success ceiling to be high. Teddy rallied his team. His personality attracted people and he showed promising leadership skills. Teddy also followed Jesus.

One day on a routine play in practice Teddy injured his knee horrifically. He tore it so badly most experts thought he would never play again. He endured a grueling surgery and the doubts by all the experts. His rehab took well over a year befoer he could even practice again. Most  thought he was finished. One day he made a profound statement during an interview about his faith in God. He commented, "You cannot have a testimony without a test."

They say pressures builds character. Coach Herb Rios always told me pressure reveals character. What Teddy Bridgewater's pressure revealed was a rock solid faith in His God. That happened several years ago. This past offseason Teddy was signed by the Carolina Panthers to be their starting quarterback for the upcoming football season.

Tests build testimonies. Teddy did not give up. Nor did Abraham Lincoln after suffering failure and losses in elections. Nor did Jonathan Edwards when the church he inherited from his grandfather as pastor fired him after 23 years of faithful service. Amy Carmichael did not give up her quest to deliver children from slavery, though she was bedridden. William Carey lost his wife on the mission field, but stayed the course. Hudson Taylor lost two wives and children in China, but he did not quit. He pressed on and did not grow bitter. He grew better and stronger. Jackie Pullinger endured trial after trial in her labors in Hong Kong. She has a fifty plus year legacy of missionary services and myriads of transformed lives.

We often hate tests. I can't say I enjoyed them as a student. That is with one exception. When I felt prepared. When I studied hard and gained the information, I entered those tests confidently. I felt so confident after one final exam I commented the professor when I turned it in putting my hand to my mouth like holding a slice of cake, "It was a piece of cake." I meant to say if softly. My voice carried and everyone in the class laughed. It embarrassed me but my confident remained. I made a high "A" on that test.

When you walk with God, you have tested and proved Him over and over again, the tests do not break you. They reveal what is inside you. When God is inside of you and His word, you can stand firm. Teddy did. His testimony is not over. Neither is yours or mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment