Thursday, August 22, 2019

Impatiently Learning Patience

Our schedule is a little unusual today. Turner has a football scrimmage this afternoon. It made more sense for me to drive Brenda to work and him to school than for us to take two cars. Normally, I like leaving before dawn for the office. I adjusted my schedule and planned on leaving later.

When I walked out of the bedroom Turner informed me he had to be at school by 7:30 a.m. for his dual college credit class. Brenda wanted to stop and pick up some breakfast and all of that meant we had to hustle out the door. Of course when you are in a hurry the rest of the world is not. The breakfast order was called in but not ready when we arrived. I felt tense. Impatient. Brenda teased me but I did not laugh.

We finally got breakfast and then hurried off to get Turner delivered. Then I dropped Brenda off at her work. Finally I could make my way to the office. As I drove through Springtown it was right during peak morning traffic. A two lane highway with bumper to bumper traffic in both directions. I waited through a long line of cars turning to drop students off at school. I waited in a long line at one signal light after another barely creeping forward.

By this time my impatience had penned patience down for the count like a wrestler penning his opponent to win the match. I arrived at the office much later than I planned knowing I had a short day anyway. I tried to pray to get myself together but my mind kept spinning with multiple thoughts all at the same time. I felt too impatient to pray.

Finally, God stilled my mind and heart long enough for me to see my sin of impatience. Yes, I am impatiently trying to learn patience. God gives me plenty of practice. Seems like I am always waiting on something or someone. Waiting on traffic at busy intersections. Waiting on the mail. Waiting at the drive through. Waiting on Brenda. Waiting for Turner after football practice. Waiting at the barber shop. Waiting on God. Waiting on answered prayers. Life is filled with waiting.

Waiting is part of the fruit of the Spirit. It is God's will for believers to be patient. How often I find myself getting inpatient. In those moments that is a clear indication I am not walking in the Spirit but rather walking in the flesh. When I walk in the Spirit I will not carry out the desires of the flesh.

Galatians 5:16 (ESV)
16  But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

May I learn patience. The kind of patience God has with me. May I learn to rest in Him. To be more flexible in my schedule. To enjoy life's journey even when it means delays and detours. Many times that is for my protection. At other times it is God sitting me in the dunce corner because I impatiently learn patience.

Galatians 5:22-23 (ESV)
22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23  gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.


No comments:

Post a Comment