Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Flag Unfurled

It was way before sun up. My two buddies and I were making a mad dash from Austin back to Parker County this past Sunday morning where we had responsibilities to get back to. As we were pulling in for a quick breakfast to eat on the road I saw a beautiful sight. One that moved me and I thought to myself, "I have to write about this."

Overhead in the early morning breezes waved Old Glory in all of her splendor. This was not a small flag. It was huge. The wind blew ripples along the red and white stripes like ripples in the water. My initial thought, "How beautiful." I am a patriot. I love my country. I count it a privilege to live here. We are not a perfect country. We are far from God. There is no other place I would rather live unless God called me elsewhere. God has chosen to plant my feet in the United States to serve Him. Beyond that He planted my feet in TEXAS. That's about as good as it gets.

God has afforded me the opportunity to preach all around this nation and across this state. I have preached in every corner of this state and in many others over the yers. I have preached in mountains, near lakes, oceans in rustic retreat settings and in some of the beautiful facilities you can imagine. My work is far from over. There is so much left to be done. Still so many souls to be won. I am working on several now. My whole life and ministry have not amounted to more than a tiny splash in a huge ocean.  I must labor while I still have time. I have eternity to rest.

Seeing that flag unfurled in the wind brought several things to mind. My friends and I were headed home from a weekend youth retreat. They did the music and I got to preach God's word. I am thankful we can still do that in this country. We ate some amazing food. One place started with a man cooking on an outdoor grill and selling meat to help supplement his income. Soon he built a screen around the grill and now his place is a major tourist attraction where hundreds eat everyday. I am glad I get to live in a country where entrepreneurial dreams can thrive and succeed. I am thankful for churches. All kinds of churches where Jesus is proclaimed and He transforms lives. Some gather in crowded cities. Some gather off dirt roads in the country. They and many others are the bride of Christ. I am grateful for men like Eric Adcock, Jason Medlin and Wes Clark who labor for King Jesus. I am thankful for volunteers who love, give and serve tirelessly for the same King. I am thankful for the opportunity to be a chosen vessel for God to work through.

I am thankful for the family I returned home to. I am thankful for a flock I get to love and lead. I am thankful I get to do what I was born to do. I am thankful for a comfortable bed after a long day's work. I am thankful for for this computer where I get to type out my ramblings for others to read.

I am proud to be a citizen of the United States. I am a patriot. I love America. Yet the flag that means more to me and serves as the banner over my life is the Christian flag. That is my standard. That is my rallying cry along with millions of other believers. May that flag daily unfurl for all of us as we battle for our King. I live to serve Jesus. He is my Commander In Chief. He is my all in all. All I have I have because of Him. It is an honor to represent Him. I AM NOT ASHAMED OF JESUS OR HIS GOSPEL. MAY THAT FLAG WAVE OVER MY LIFE ALL MY DAYS.

No comments:

Post a Comment