Wednesday, March 20, 2019

City Lights

Last week I spent the night in Weatherford, TX due to some unforeseen circumstances, where I shepherd Heritage Baptist church. I had a room on the third floor with a large window overlooking the city. I sat at a table next to the window to pray. As the sun faded the lights of the city came on. God stirred my heart for the city where I serve and one day will live.

Weatherford is a growing city. Situated 30 minutes due west of Fort Worth on I-20. Well over a hundred thousand people are predicted to move in the area in the next couple of decades. Evidences of the growth are everywhere. Houses are built. The traffic is already congested. New shopping areas and restaurants abound.

As I sat at my table looking out the window I felt a burden and compassion for the people. Many without a saving relationship with Jesus Christ. Many weighed down by life. Many broken. Others bound in lifestyles of sin. Only Jesus can rescue them. Only Jesus can save them.

Looking out the window over the city stirred my heart. Much like Jesus' heart got stirred when He looked over Jerusalem. Matthew 23:37 (NKJV)
37  "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!

Under those city lights are people whom Jesus loves and for whom He died. How many ignore Him? How many blatantly reject His love and mercy? How many defy Him openly? His love still remains. A love He has transferred into my heart. May the light of Jesus shine brighter than the city lights of Weatherford, TX. May the masses be drawn to Him and to houses of worship. May the name of Jesus be made more famous in Parker County. 

No comments:

Post a Comment