Wednesday, October 18, 2023

The Altar

 Brenda and I made a trip to Seminole, TX where we enjoyed two of the sweetest years of our entire ministry from 2009-2011. I was taking part in a funeral of a beloved sister in Christ. 

We stayed in a cabin on a 17,000 acre ranch of some dear friends. It was a joy to catch up. The real joy happened the next day. It started with a time with the Lord in that cabin. Surrounded by a beautiful west Texas sunrise and 17,000 acres of God's beautiful desert creation. The place is an active working cattle ranch. I was more caught up in God and reading His word before going to the funeral. I profoundly encountered God in that cabin. I hope one day God will allow me to return to meet Him for more extended period. 

At the funeral I saw dozens of former church members and community leaders. The church was packed. I stood on the same stage I stood on time after time proclaiming God's word. It was the same sanctuary where God poured out His Spirit on us in the 23-day revival that I have spoken of so often. 

My speaking part in the service was in the middle and I chose to come down off the stage to sit on the front row to my left. I exited the stage on the steps next to the organ before finding my seat. I was settling in when I noticed it. It had escaped my attention before that moment. I even walked on the holy ground and did not even think about it. Not until I sat down on that front row. Then my eyes locked onto a sacred piece of ground where the Edwards' family changed. Let me explain. 

The spring of 2009 I was invited to preach a D Now for FBC Seminole. My friend Jase Waller served the church as the student pastor. What happened over that three day weekend changed my life. I did not see it coming. Turns out FBC church was without a pastor which was of no particular interest to me. At that time, Brenda and I were enjoying a thriving ministry at FBC Paradise. God was growing the church. I thought we would serve there for life. 

On Saturday morning of the youth event, Jase told me that some people on the search committee who heard me on Friday night were already talking about being interested in me. Those conversations deepened after the Saturday morning service. Jase stopped by our host home where I was staying to talk to me more in depth. It was a conversation that sent me to my knees afterward. Jase told me that the search committee was going to contact me afterward. I told Jase I was not looking to leave where I was serving. I was content there. 

When he left I went into the dining room and prayed. I prayed all afternoon. I had a message planned but sensed I needed to change it for that evening service. I preached that night with all my heart about being available to serve God everyday. So many students and adults responded to the invitation that I could not step down the main steps to get off the stage. I had to go down the steps by the organ. It was right there that I got on my knees and poured out my heart to God in sincere prayer. I surrendered my life again to God that night. I told God that if nobody in that room meant being available to Him that I did. I told him I would willingly go to Seminole if that was what He willed for my family. Fast forward five months. My family moved to Seminole, TX where I became the pastor of the First Baptist Church. We left Paradise in tears. I cannot even put into words what God did in our ministry in Seminole.

Now back to the funeral service. When my eyes looked at those steps that became an altar to me 14 years ago, my mind flashed back to that Saturday night D Now service. It was like I was transported back in time. A reminder of a vow I made to God to lay my life down in service for Him. It was a powerful moment. One of those God encounters you cannot forget. God reminded me that prayer was not just a prayer for Seminole. It was an all encompassing prayer for the rest of my life. I was in the funeral service, but spiritually God had me to Himself. Reliving, recommitting, and recapturing that moment all over again. I did not get up and kneel their again physically, but I certainly did so spiritually. 

God has to the right to help Himself to any of our lives anytime He wants. He doesn't have to ask our permission. If we live surrendered to Him then He can call us to do anything, anywhere, at anytime. We are to live our lives surrendered and available. 

Can I tell you what that means? Not totally. A young student interviewed me today about my call to ministry and advice for young people called to do the same. His last question caught me a little off guard. He asked me about my long term plans. I thought back to my encounter at the altar. All I could answer is that I seek to live my life surrendered to God and His plans. If God really has my yes at anytime, to do anything and to do it anywhere I have to live day by day. I have to know that my life is not my own. It is His because He bought it with a price. I am His bondservant. A servant in chains to God's will. That is how we all should live. 

Surrendering yesterday meant speaking at a funeral of a lady I loved. It meant seeing former parishioners we love deeply. It meant giving out more hugs than I could count. It mean reconnecting with several old friends. Today it meant coaching high school boys in basketball and getting ready for Bible study tonight. Tomorrow is a new day filled with new opportunities. 

I thank God for that moment at the altar 14 years ago. I thank God for that reminder yesterday sitting on that front row. Driving home yesterday down I-20 we pulled up behind a big truck. The trailer door had this painted on it, "Anything, anytime, anywhere." The company advertised their ability and willingness to ship anything, anytime, and anywhere. God meant it for another message to me. He can call me to serve Him to do anything, anywhere at anytime. He has my yes. Does He have yours as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment