Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Trickle of Tears

 The young man is hard working. Incredibly driven. He is not prone to show emotions. Stoic. He is hard on himself. Very determined. Resolute. That is why I never expected to see a trickle of tears in his eyes. 

We talked about something very sensitive to him. The conversation did not start out with any indication it would become emotional. When the conversation turned to the issue that touched a nerve in him the tears formed. He could not hold them back. I saw all the pain welling up in his eyes.  All the pain he has shoved down for a long time came bubbling to the surface. I reached out to give him a hug. 

It makes me wonder how many others live everyday with deep seated pains and sorrows buried beneath the surface. Shoved down so deeply that nobody else is even aware of them. People can do this for a season. Sooner or later that pain will find a way to manifest itself. Ulcers. Stress. Grinding of teeth. Sleepless nights. And of course, tears. 

Some are better than others at choking back the tears and bravely trudging through life. Stoically such people keep their emotions in check. God created tears. They serve a purpose. Tears release the pain hidden beneath the surface. Tears trigger people to rally around the hurting one for comfort and ministry. 

Even Jesus wept at the tomb of Lazarus. People speculate about what caused Jessus to weep. Was it because of the loss of his friend Lazarus. That is unlikely being that Jesus was about to call him back to life. Did He weep because of Mary and Martha? He had spent time in their home. They were his friends. Their grief could have easily been felt and shared. Was it because He knew where Lazarus was and that he was about to be summoned back to life from eternity? Maybe it was a combination of many things. Even Jesus felt pain. He can identify with others carrying pain deep inside that sometimes surface in a trickle of tears. He understands. He gets us. 

I wish I could pray a prayer to make the pain go away for that young man and for each of you. I wish I could hug it away. I wish I could preach or teach something that will make it better. All I can do is pray and love people through it. I carry the pain of so many now. Huge burdens. Travesties. I manage to keep it all down but sooner or later all that pain will become a trickle of tears. A verse I take great comfort in is that God is near to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. [Ps 34:18] He is near all of you caught in circumstances like an animal caught in a trap. He is our comforter and deliverer. Lean into Him who is able to do far more than we can think or ask according to His power that works in us. [Eph 3:20]

No comments:

Post a Comment