Friday, October 7, 2022

Memorial Stones

 Last year a friend came to visit Brenda and I. Julie is a follower of Jesus. Devout. A serious Bible student. Our families shared many happy memories in the years we served together. She came bearing gifts. She handed me a box. The contents were heavy. I had no idea what it could be. 

I found several round stones inside with a base stone that had a rod attached. All the stones stack on top of one another. They are memorial stones. She included a picture of the back porch where they used to live. She did not have to explain anything else. I knew the significance of the gift. It is one I treasure. Several years ago, I had a profound encounter with God on her and her husband Mike's back porch. I would say it is the most significant God encounter I have ever had. I am not exaggerating when I say that moment with God on that back porch changed my life and ministry. The stones were memorial stones to remind me of that encounter. 

Those stones are sitting on the old pulpit from the old sanctuary that no longer exists in my office. The pulpit reminds me of the faithful pastors who preached before me. I am to continue in their example. The memorial stones remind me of that God encounter on that back porch. I never want to forget that God encounter. Nor do I want to be satisfied with it. I want to hunger for fresh God encounters all the days of my life. 

When you think about significant God encounters that changed the trajectory of your life, where did it occur? Have you ever considered setting up memorial stones to remind you and others. The memorial stones are meant to be conversation starters. When people ask about the meaning, you can relate stories of your God encounter. 

This is exactly what happened after Israel crossed the Jordan River. While the priests were still standing in the middle of the river God commanded Joshua to have 12 men take 12 stones from the bottom of the river to place on the other side. The stones were memorial stones so that the testimony of God could be remembered and recounted. 

Joshua 4:1-7 (NASB)
1  Now when all the nation had finished crossing the Jordan, the LORD spoke to Joshua, saying,
2  "Take for yourselves twelve men from the people, one man from each tribe,
3  and command them, saying, 'Take up for yourselves twelve stones from here out of the middle of the Jordan, from the place where the priests' feet are standing firm, and carry them over with you and lay them down in the lodging place where you will lodge tonight.'"
4  So Joshua called the twelve men whom he had appointed from the sons of Israel, one man from each tribe;
5  and Joshua said to them, "Cross again to the ark of the LORD your God into the middle of the Jordan, and each of you take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Israel.
6  "Let this be a sign among you, so that when your children ask later, saying, 'What do these stones mean to you?'
7  then you shall say to them, 'Because the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD; when it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off.' So these stones shall become a memorial to the sons of Israel forever."

If I were setting up memorial stones, I would have set one up at Abe Martin Football Stadium in Lufkin, TX where I met Jesus as my Savior. I would set one up near the old sanctuary at Denman Avenue Baptist Church where I was baptized. I would set one up at Piney Woods Baptist Encampment in Woodlake, TX where God called and I surrendered to preach. I would set one up at Howard Payne University where I met Brenda and other important people in my life. I would set one up at FBC Hurst, TX where Brenda and I were married. There are many others. I would set some up at Rochelle Baptist Church where I got ordained. I would set some up at FBC Seminole were we saw God move powerfully in a 23-day revival. Now I would set some up for Spring Creek Baptist Church where I humbly get to serve God and these people. So many memories. 

I don't know why we do not take more time for people to share testimonies about God encounters. I think they inspire others to press on in the midst of difficulty. Testimonies are like memorial stones where we remember and recount the many ways God has worked in our lives. In some ways the Bible is just one long record of testimonies of people who encountered God. 

Let me encourage you to find your own memorial stones. To let them be a conversation starter for you to testify. In this way we can continually pass on the legacy of our faith to the next generations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment