Saturday, August 20, 2022

Chosen

 The memory is etched in my mind like words in granite. My family had just moved. It was the first day of school. More importantly to me, it was the first day on the playground. We were playing my favorite sport football. Two team captains started choosing their teams. I was eager to show what I had. I waited impatiently to see which team would benefit from my skills. One after another was chosen. Looking around I noticed the remaining players to be chosen was dwindling. It happened. I was the very last person chosen. Somebody had to pick me as the last player, but I could tell the captain chose me begrudgingly. I resolved to prove my worth. 

Totally embarrassed I resolved I would show my skills on the field. When you are the new kid, nobody throws you a pass. I did get one. My plan was to catch it and go score. I can still see the ball coming my direction. I put out my hands to receive the pass and turned up field to run to the end zone. I dropped it. Muffled. Bobbled. The ball bounced off my stone hands. I totally failed. Being the last kid chosen left a deep imprint on my psyche. 

Ephesians 1:3-4 (NASB)
3  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,
4  just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love

The word chose means to "pick or select." I am so thankful that when God picks His team, He does not select us based on our talents, skills, abilities, or performance. He chooses us because of His love. Pure and undefiled love. 

Even in our sinful nature He saw the potential for what we could be through His transforming power. He made us holy and righteous. We did not earn it. We did not attain it. We could never do enough to achieve it. It was all based on His grace and redeeming love. 

I remember what it felt like as a child not to be chosen.  I felt insecure, unsure, and suffered a lack of confidence. I also know what it means to be chosen by God to be a part of His family. Like He picked me for adoption. The dirty sullen boy in the corner of the orphanage. I had nothing to offer God, but He had everything to offer me through adoption through His son Jesus. I am humbled by it. I am also secure that I have a seat at His table. 

I had nothing to offer. A young, sullen, angry, and unholy young man. I could curse with the best of them. Was all too willing to fight anyone. My life was far from holy. When God surveyed the masses, there were certainly better people. He targeted me in 1983 in that football stadium. There were hundreds of others there that night. He picked me. He added me to His family and a couple years later as one of His chosen preachers. I am still humbled and grateful for all of it. That one night in October of 1983 when Jesus saved me changed the whole trajectory of my life. 

There is an old song we used to sing in our youth group. Part of the lyrics are; I owed a debt I could not pay, He paid a debt He did not owe, I needed someone to wash my sins away. Now I sing a brand new song amazing grace every day, Jesus paid the debt that I could never pay. 

I'm so thankful that He picked me not based on my performance. I have failed Him numerous times. I have also surrendered my life to Him. After all these years I am still blessed and thrilled to be chosen. It makes me love Him more and want to bring others to Him. Thank the Lord He still chooses to pick people to add to His family and team. May His family never quit expanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment