Monday, January 3, 2022

Let Me Pick Your Brain

 The two of us sat on his back porch eating dinner and watching a bowl game. In the course of our conversation, he brought up a topic that has long fascinated me. I started picking his brain for more information. I am a curious person by nature. I asked question after question taking in all my friend's expertise. In fact our evening ended with me still asking him questions about a different topic. I might still be there if Brenda had not pulled me away. 

I spent a good portion of this morning doing research on the internet about a topic related to the church. I sought answers from all points of view. I then fired off an email to an expert for his thoughts and recommended resources. I followed that up with a phone call to another expert. All in an effort to learn and make the best informed decisions as possible. 

I have been out of formal education for a long time now but, I still have an insatiable thirst for knowledge and to learn. There is so much I dod not know. So much about God I have not discovered. Truths in the Bible I have not mined nor taught. Spiritual experiences I have not enjoyed. I want more. 

All around me are people who have gone further, discovered more, dug deeper, and experienced greater God encounters than I have. I want to learn from as many of these people as I can. I am still a student at heart. Partly this is done by reading. I am currently reading five books. They all interest me. I read a little in one and then some in the next and so forth. I want to pick other people's brains to be more effective. There is no end to knowledge. There are so many books and so little time. 

There are people who have great wisdom on a variety of topics. They have so much to offer if we just take the time to ask. I want to spend more time asking. Learning. Growing. Progressing. Listening instead of taking. Asking instead of answering. 

The information highway available through the internet has a labyrinth of information available at our finger tips. More information than we can possibly ever use on every topic imaginable. It is overwhelming how much information is out there to be consumed. Not all that information is true. Some must be sifted through scripture. We can be well informed students of life, culture, history, politics, the Bible, theology, prophesy, and every other topic imaginable. 

I hope we will make a more concerted effort to pick the brains of people, books, and other sources of knowledge in 2022. May we progress in our understanding this year. Especially as it relates to knowledge of God and His word. Happy picking my brothers and sisters. May God give us the hunger and the capacity to keep learning while we still have life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment