Monday, July 5, 2021

Perspective

 I watched a tiny spider today crawling around. I paused to reflect on what that spider might think and experience from his perspective. Our surroundings were spacious, but from the spider's perspective it must have seemed as big as a galaxy. The spider was less than an eighth of an inch in diameter. I would not have even noticed it if I had not seen it crawling. 

I wondered how vast the surroundings must have seemed to him. I seriously wonder if that spider could have experienced all our locale in a lifetime. Just the surface he crawled on must have been sixty feet long. It felt like a large space to me, but I walked over all of it. That would have been impossible for the spider. The space was too vast and he was too small. 

I felt safe and secure. I wonder if the spider felt vulnerable. One simple slide of my shoe could have ended his life. If the spider could even see me, how did he respond. Did fear grip him? Did my size overwhelm him? What if he tried to explain me to family and friends who had never seen a human being?

My thoughts turned to God. The way I saw my surroundings today is the way God views the universe. The galaxies and solar systems. The stars He has numbered and named are too vast for me to count. According to Isaiah 66:1, He uses planet Earth as a footstool. He knows every square inch of this planet. Nothing is hidden from His sight. Even the tiny spiders. 

I try to explain and describe Him to those who have never met Him. It is difficult. He is present but unseen. He is all powerful and yet does not act as an angry tyrant. He is compassionate and yet judges righteously toward all those who do not know Him. He is wise and yet stoops to communicate with inferiors. He needs nothing nor anyone and yet chooses to relate to human beings. He is indescribable. Words fail me. He is more than I know. Infinitely more. 

From His perspective we must seem like a tiny spider. Insignificant. Vulnerable. Unworthy. Because of His great love we have significance as His children. With His protection, we are untouchable. Because of His grace and salvation we have worth through Him. We have been declared righteous through Jesus if He has saved us. 

To go one step further, our problems are not problems for God. Our mountains are molehills from God's perspective. Our trials may seem unending. They are but for a short time from His perspective. Unrepentant sinners are salvageable from His perspective. We can give up on them too quickly. He sees the beginning, middle and end of creation in real time. We can only see the present in part. Even then circumstances may not always be what they seem. 

Oh that we might see the world through His perspective. That would change our attitudes, our mindsets, and our faith. Let us pray Jehovah will reveal His perspective to us. To see things from His vantage point. To think like He thinks. We would all live so much more at peace if we saw the world and our lives from His perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment