Thursday, January 28, 2021

The Angels Are Rejoicing

 I missed him nodding his head. I taught an evangelistic message to our students last night. When asked after the invitation if anyone had asked Jesus in their heart, one guy nodded. I did not see him. I did not learn of his decision until an hour and a half later when we arrived home. 

God has been working in this young man's life for several weeks. God has been in hot pursuit. His uncle and mother both shared the good news of Jesus with him in recent days. Last night God pressed on him the need for salvation. Now the angels are rejoicing. Why do I say that? 

Luke 15:7 (NASB)
7  "I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. 

There is more joy over one sinner who repents and trusts Jesus as their Savior than over the 99 who need no repentance. When someone gets saved, the angels rejoice. I picture in my mind a celebration. A part in essence. God added another one to His family last night. 

He did the same thing last Sunday morning during the worship service. Only He added two in that service. I also imagine how many other churches and individuals experienced the same thing around the world. Heaven rejoices. One of our deacons attended anther baptism service in another church. He told me over a dozen people were saved in that service. What a reason to celebrate. 

Shouldn't we? Shouldn't the fact that God saves people stir and excite us, like when a new baby is added to the family. Shouldn't we be exuberant. O that we could really understand the miracle that takes place in spiritual new birth. 

God opens spiritually blinded eyes to the gospel truth. God, through the Holy Spirit, convicts of sin and the judgment to come. God draws people to Himself. God gives the faith for a person to trust Jesus. God gives the understanding of the redemption message of what Jesus did on the cross. If Heaven rejoices when a person gets saved, we should join right in on the celebration. It is appropriate to weep, to shout, to clap, to say, "Hallelujah, Glory to God!", and to maybe do a happy dance (even it is just on the inside depending what your church allows).

This coming Sunday we get to celebrate baptism. We get to celebrate that special church ordinance. In my mind, I go back in time. I was the youth minister at Spring Creek back thirty years ago. God moved powerfully in our youth group. Many were saved. One Sunday morning I got to baptize several students in a row. It feels like God is doing that again, only this time it is churchwide. 

I am humbled and blessed to behold God at work. He is doing some amazing things. I get a front row seat to view what He does. What a glorious time we are having. I can't hardly wait until Sunday and to see what He will do next. I will be rejoicing in the baptismal waters Sunday morning. I do not expect that will be the last time this year we celebrate someone's new birth in Jesus. May the Lord save many and the baptismal waters be stirred often. May the rejoicing continue. Our God is mighty to save. 

No comments:

Post a Comment