Wednesday, January 27, 2021

I Never Missed A Day

 I recently visited with an elderly gentleman who shared his testimony. He never attended a church service or read a Bible as a child or as an adult until he had grandchildren. His 15 year old granddaughter witnessed to him. She wanted to make sure he would be in Heaven. She actually led Him to a saving relationship with Christ. His eyes moistened as he told me how he met Jesus. He got saved back in 1970. 

His next statement surprised and inspired me. He said since 1970 he spends an hour in devotional readings and prayer. Then he said, "I have never missed a day." Did you catch that. This man has maintained the discipline of meeting with Jesus daily. He has not missed one day in over 50 years. Let that sink in for a moment. He did not sleep in and neglect a day. He did not take a day off while on vacation. He continued meeting even when he did not feel like doing so. Five decades of devotions has made this seasoned senior saint very tender to the things of God. 

He met me at the back door after God moved powerfully in worship service. He told me, "I need to go spend some time in prayer." He is in his seventies and I see great hunger in this man for God. He seeks God earnestly and is making plans to go on a mission trip to Honduras. 

His love, zeal, hunger, and dedication to draw closer to God both challenge and inspire me. I cannot say I never missed a day. I have on many occasions. May God fuel a new passionate hunger for Him. 

Psalm 63:1 (NASB)
1 O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, In a dry and weary land where there is no water.


No comments:

Post a Comment