Wednesday, February 13, 2019

What Would It Take To Make You Happy

What would it take to make you happy? I was asked that question recently. I pondered for a moment and began making a mental list of things. I mulled it over for awhile and then realized all my answers fell short. None of those things really had the ability to make me happy.

Then I remembered this verse.

Psalm 16:11 (NKJV)
11  You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

In God's presence is fullness of joy. To put it another way, in God's presence is exceeding and abounding gladness. It does not say in riches. It does not say in adverse free circumstances. It does not say fullness of joy comes from any source but from God and being near Him. 

How easily we get fooled into thinking this long sought after happiness or joy will come from some other source. We try. We try in vain to find our lasting happiness in things like entertainment, accumulating more stuff, relationships, job promotions, education, having a family. None can produce true and lasting happiness. 

Remaining with God is key. Yet, how many reading this would say your relationship with God has not produced fullness of joy. How many would testify that you have sought Him and are no more happy today than you were before you came to know Him. Worse, how many fake happiness as followers of Jesus but have no real joy. 

Happiness should not be our pursuit. Happiness depends so much on circumstances. Joy comes from something deeper. True joy can overcome adversity. Jesus joyfully went to the cross. [Heb 12:2] 

I am going to turn that question around asked me. Not what would it take to me happy? Rather what it would take to make me joyful? Surrendering to the Holy Spirit. [Gal 5:22] Taking the time to enjoy God and not use Him as a genie in a magic lamp to grant me my wishes. To walk with Him until His joy bubbles up inside me. 

One last thing. In God's right hand are pleasures.  That word means desires and delights. Here is the truth. God Himself is the ultimate desire and delight. Many never discover this and spend their lives vainly chasing things they think will produce forever pleasures. Like Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes that is like chasing after the wind. 

This world tantalizes. It draws us in. It dazzles with shiny things that promise lasting joy, fulfillment and pleasure. Those things never satisfy. God does. I've been deceived and subtly drawn in. Enticed with things that never live up to the promise. Seduced by the greed to always have more. I am no happier for the effort and experiences. 

Today my eyes are opened. Fullness of joy is found in God. Pleasure is found in God. So if I want to be happier, or more joyful, I need more of Him. To know Him. Not know about Him. To really know Him. Even in the fellowship of His sufferings and the power of His resurrection. [Phil 3:10] Not more of anything this world has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment