Monday, February 11, 2019

Resolve With Joy

I just finished my workout for the day. Even working out in my make shift gym in the garage I worked up a sweat on this cold drizzly day. I did bench press, butterflys, military press, hammer curls, biceps curls both standing and seated, shoulder shrugs, push ups, and yoga stretches plus a 300 repetition abdominal work out.

I got tired. The muscles ached. They burned with the fire of fatigue. Four sets of every exercise for anywhere from 45-30 seconds per set. At times I could actually feel the fibers in my muscles strain to get another rep up. When I knew I was entering my last round I determined to get one more rep than I did the last time. That is when I really felt the strain as those muscles tensed and strained to hoist the weight. I didn't feel like doing one more rep. I just wanted to be done. The competitor in me wanted to step up the challenge. I resolved to do so.

You see, the workouts are just as much mental as they are physical. You have to push beyond fatigue barriers. You have to go past pain. You have to resolve not to quit.

It is the same thing in life. When Monday mornings roll around after an all too short weekend you have to will yourself out of bed when the alarm goes off. You have to push through the mental fatigue of starting the work grind all over again. Punching the work clock can feel a lot like doing time. Many hate their work but endure it for the paycheck. They do not endure joyfully.

We also need the resolve not just to get through another work week but to do so joyfully. You may argue that I do not understand your adverse working conditions and your poor compensation. You know what I would reply. You don't understand the adversity of what Jesus endured on the cross. He did so joyfully.

Hebrews 12:1-3 (NKJV)
1  Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
2  looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3  For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls.

Going to the cross was not pleasant. Jesus resolved to embrace it and endure it. He also finished it. It is so easy in life to give up. People give up on all sorts of things. Jesus set the example for finishing.

Jesus also set the example of enduring suffering joyfully. Paul followed His example. Just read through the book of Philippians.

I know many are discouraged. Many feel like giving up. Some might even contemplate suicide because the pain and adversity are so deep. Resolve to think about Jesus. When you get weary of the same old routine think about His resolve to finish. When you get discouraged think about Jesus completely surrendering to the will of God joyfully. He is our example. May we all resolve to finish and to endure joyfully whatever is in front of us. Doing so will glorify Jesus. Let's ask Him for more resolve and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment