Friday, November 2, 2018

Sardis

After a week of revival preaching I made my way back home. My host pastor and I hit the road by 6:00 a.m. We opted to take the scenic route back from Arkansas to Texas. We wound our way through beautiful mountains over into Oklahoma where we came to Sardis Lake.

A two mile dam and bridge were built over the lake. There is a scenic overlook just off the bridge where you can pull over and take in the sights. We took advantage of this opportunity. The lake is surrounded by mountains. When I stepped outside I worshipped. I audibly thanked God for such a beautiful sight. Beautiful mountains littered with brilliant colored fall leaves on trees. All surrounding a large lake.

A cold front blew through. Overhead I witnessed overcast skies. The wind blew briskly from the north with a little bit of a bite to it. Looking over the lake I saw white capped waves whipping up. Right in front of where we parked was a large concrete structure with the word "Sardis" written on top.

Kyle nad I stood looking over the lake for a few moments. Down below the waves pounded the shores pushed by the northern winds. Soon we got back in the car to continue our journey. For some reason I could not get that word "Sardis" out of my mind." When I got home I looked it up. Sardis was a city in ancient Asia Minor.

It was also a city God showed John when he received the Revelation. Sardis was one of the seven churches singled out by John.

Revelation 3:1-2 (NKJV)
1  "And to the angel of the church in Sardis write, 'These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: "I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead.
2  Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God.

What a horrible word. Sardis appeared alive. They had all the outward signs of life. Inside spiritually they were dead. That certainly could describe a great many churches today. Busy busy with activity. They appear alive. The truth is they are dead. Spiritually bankrupt. Church has become big business but little ministry. Many churches are a blur of never ending activity but at the same time they are dead on the inside. There is no power in what they do and therefore no effectiveness. 

I do not want to be Sardis in my personal life. I do not want the ecclesia to be Sardis either. I pray for the life of God to be present in me and in His bride across the land. I pray His life be in you and that none of us would be Sardis. 

We must be watchful over our souls. We must strengthen what remains of faith, hunger for the word of God and the church. If not, people will fall away, we will grow cold and apathetic and churches will one day close their doors for good in death. God forbid such a day ever comes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment