Thursday, December 26, 2019

Mountains Unmoved

As 2019 slowly unwinds to an end, I think about mountains unmoved for many people. Prayers were lifted. Faith was engaged. Still the mountains loom large.

I just received a text from a new friend I met early last year. She came to me burdened for her sister who had stage four cancer. She came off the streets just looking for help, someone to listen and to pray. God orchestrated that she found me. I went to visit her sister and the three of us struck up a friendship until the two sisters moved to Corpus Christi. I stayed in contact with them. Sadly, the sister battling cancer died. Since then, I've maintained some contact with the surviving sister who will soon be returning to the Weatherford area. God did not move the mountain of cancer. He is slowly moving the mountain of grief. It is a hard burden to bear. I am glad she will return and possibly visit us here at Spring Creek.

I think of the couple I know under tremendous financial strain. Though they prayed and Brenda and I prayed for them, there mountain has not moved. It saddens me to see such loving and giving people suffer so much. I don't understand, but all they have is faith in God. They cannot lose that or they have nothing else.

I think about those suffering from an incurable disease. I hate it. Days are spent receiving medical treatments, but they cannot produce a cure. Only God can do that. These ones I love suffer day after day. At some point hearing, "We are praying for you," must sound shallow when those prayers are not followed up with tangible results. The mountain remains unmoved.

I am looking at a little ceramic cross near this computer that reads, "Faith moves mountains." Reading it is what prompted this blog. Many questions swirl in my mind. How much faith? Why do some mountains remain unmoved? Do I have enough faith? Do we pray fervently enough?

I feel the pressure to perform greater feats in prayer to get mountains moved. Jesus said it only took mustard seed faith. Surely we all have that much. God is sovereign. He does what He pleases. If He chooses to leave mountains unmoved, then our responsibility is to keep trusting anyway. That is hard when you spent the better part of 2019 pleading for mountains to move.

The Edwards have unmoved mountains too. I have prayed for years for God to move them. He has not done it yet .I choose to believe He is able to do exceedingly more than I think or ask according to His power that works in us. [Eph 3:20] It is not time to give up, but to keep believing faith moves God to move mountains.  Cling to that hope as 2019 concludes and 2020 comes into view.

Let's pray. Let's fast. Let's persevere. Let's exercise believing faith. Let's press on until God moves unmovable mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment