Saturday, December 21, 2019

Country Folks

I sat in my chair looking at the books in my office. I wanted to write something, but faced a bit of writer's block. I thought how a million ideas were contained in the pages of those thousands of books. I could not settle on one to write about.

Like a cowboy or cowgirl sitting on top of their horse trying to cut a calf from the herd, I tried to cut an idea from all the rest. No matter how I tried to corral that one single idea, it danced, darted and dashed right past me. After awhile, I just sat staring off into space consumed with the thought mixed with prayer that I could not find one thing to write about. No not one.

 Like hundreds of cattle that need to be driven to another pasture or to a corral, the ideas roam free and have a mind of their own. Thought I try to cut them off and settle on one, they have proven too elusive.

In a world of inspiration nothing grabs my heart. In a world filled with interesting people none have grabbed my attention. to write about. In this merry festive season, I am still at a stand still. What am I to do? Give up and give in. Far from it. Like the cowboy and cowgirl who get bested by stubborn and slippery cattle, they don't give up. They try again. They work until the job is done.

I have great admiration for the cowhands. It is truly a fast fading way of life. Their work is never done. There is fence to mend. Cattle to treat. Cattle to brand, dehorn and castrate. There are cattle to sell, horses to care for and something broken that always needs fixed. In the winter. there is hay to put out to feed. In the summer. there is hay to cut and bale. Their work is never done.

I serve a country church. You are more likely to see jeans, pearl snap button shirts and boots than slacks and loafers. Many of the women folk wear dresses, but it is because they choose to. The flock is not pretentious. They are down to earth, simple and sincere people. Willing to lend a helping hand. They know how to put on a feed. Those folks sure know how to cook. They are a friendly folk going out of their way to make newcomers feel at home. They are hard working. It doesn't matter what the job is they find a way to get it done. They are loving. Their lives are so intwined they are more like family than friends. They are a smart people. While there are some educated in our midst, there are also those who have a wealth of wisdom that can't be learned in a classroom. I see them carrying worn and tattered Bibles when we gather. They love to laugh. They also love to learn. They love one another. Many have stuck together through thick and thin. They have seen many others come and go over the years, but they have stayed true. These are trustworthy people. Their word is their bond. A handshake is as good as a signed contract. These are the people I admire. I respect. I love. I want to serve as a good shepherd.

Country people are different. They are resourceful. They have the can do attitude. They have learned to weather the storms. They know that joy comes in time after seasons of weeping. They are straight shooters with their mouths as well as their guns. They are content not trying to keep up with what everybody else accumulates. They are stouthearted. They are not afraid to take a stand when called to do so. They are sensible. They are kind.They are both teachable and teachers. They are people I love and get to serve. Even as the city encroaches out in the country, bringing their high minded city ways, country folks learn to adjust. Sometimes amused and at other times infuriated with the high brow city folk ways. Country people take it all in stride. They are a different breed. A rare jewel in the landscape.

Country people and the country way of life offers a wealth to write about. I am thankful for them. I am thankful I get to dwell and minister among them. I'm grateful God's boundaries have fallen for me in pleasant country places.

No comments:

Post a Comment