Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Cramming

All over the nation college students are cramming information into their brains as they prepare for final exams at the end of the semester. They fill their minds with theories, formulas, historical facts, literature and thesis. Well do I remember those days. Late nights. Early mornings. Studying all out for one exam, finishing and going right back to the books to prepare for the next one. Final exams were not enjoyable.

Dr. Wallace Roark inspired me to think like no other professor I ever had. He ignited my mind. Many times I ran from class to catch up with Brenda to discuss the deep things we learned that day. God used Dr. Roark to help me in ways I can never express. I thank God I got to learn from him.  Brenda did not enjoy those talks nearly as much as I did. On one final exam day, I sat at my desk in Dr. Roark philosophy class. Apprehensively I awaited the final exam. In that class we studied philosophy and philosophers for two semesters. Here was the final exam. "Write down everything you learned in my class this past year." That was it. One comprehensive question I have to say I did not feel prepared for that question. I took out paper and wrote feverishly. In all my formative education, that was the first and only time it took all the two hour allotted time to complete the exam. Even as I turned in my exam, I felt I could have kept writing for another hour.

What happens when we get out of school in the real world? What do we do when we do not have the academic rigor of study that requires discipline to achieve a desired degree? Far too many people get lazy. Some are forced to do continuing education related to their jobs, but how many choose to keep cramming their brains with vital information? I bet we would be shocked to see how few. This is bad enough in secular society, but it reprehensible for the follower of Jesus. We've been given the greatest textbook the world has ever known in the Bible. We also have the greatest subject to explore and research in God Himself. Why are His followers not on a continuous quest to learn more, and to learn more of Him.

For too many neither of these stimulate or inspire action. Not God. Not the Bible. Pew sitters content themselves to hear ,but not really listen. They satisfy themselves to read at, but never really read the Bible. They amuse themselves learning how to use their new cell phones, but find rigorous study of God and His word a bore. Minds are crammed with stuff that conforms us more and more into the mold of the world.

Read the following.

Proverbs 2:1-6 (ESV)
1  My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you,
2  making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding;
3  yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding,
4  if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures,
5  then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.
6  For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding;

Psalm 39:3 (ESV)
3  My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue:

Philippians 4:8 (ESV)
8  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Colossians 3:1-2 (ESV) 
1  If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 
2  Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 

2 Timothy 2:7 (ESV) 
7  Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything. 

Pay attention to these phrases. Make your ear attentive. Call out for insight. Seek it like silver. I mused, the fire burned. Think on these things. Set your minds. Think over what I say. This is just a short list. It seems apparent God wants us to seek Him and cram our brains with more revelation of Him and His truth. 

This happens in two ways. First, we put forth effort to study, to think, to muse, to meditate, to reflect and to learn His word. In His word we discover more of Him. God does not leave us alone in this pursuit. He couples our seeking with His revealing. He gives understanding and knowledge. We do our part and God does His part. We fill our minds with more knowledge, and God fills our hearts with more passion and zeal for Him. In this way, the mind is filled, but not with cold lifeless information. The hearts is also crammed full, but not with unbridled passion that can entice to sin. We get both truth and zeal. We get the word and love of God. We get logic and fire. 

May we devote our remaining days to cramming both our minds and hearts with more of God and His word. Let us think deeply while at the same loving God deeply. May we cram our minds and heart with thinking and feeling. 



No comments:

Post a Comment