Thursday, August 1, 2019

Pastors Beware

Sadly I read two articles yesterday that broke my heart. Two mega church pastors under scrutiny. One is accused of several accounts of sexual misconduct. This pastor and author has meant a lot to me. Not that I ever met him. I did hear him preach in person. I listened to his recorded messages and I have read his books. After a lengthy ministry in one church he is now facing multiple accusations. I don't know if what he is accused of is true. I hope it isn't. The second pastor, a best selling author, now has left the faith and separated from his wife. Church members are left wondering what happened. This pastor is a celebrity of sorts.

How does this happen? The better question is how does it keep happening? The more penetrating question is how can I keep it from happening to me and to my fellow pastors? None of us is immune. I recall something I heard Vance Havner say on a tape once. "You can be saved and yet not be safe. You can blow it in the last innings of your life and fall into sin. You may still be saved but your testimony is blown. All the good you have done will be forgotten in light of the bad you did at the end. Your testimony is not safe until God calls you home."

Satan prowls looking for prey. He looks for the haughty, the vulnerable, the burned out, the wounded and weak. He is blood thirsty bent on destroying lives and hurting the church.

1 Peter 5:8 (ESV)
8  Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

John 10:10 (ESV)
10  The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

How do we combat that deceiver? The same way Jesus did.

Psalm 119:11 (ESV)
11  I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

The only sure fire way to resist temptation is to know and quote scripture in times of temptation. And when it comes to sexual sins, like Joseph, pastors we must flee. We can't flirt with fantasies and emotional connections that lead to secret sin.

We need other men to ask us the hard questions ruthlessly holding us accountable. Have we looked at a woman inappropriately? Have we spent time in questionable activities with someone other than our spouse? Have we looked at any sinful material? Have we lusted after someone? Have we entertained fantasies in our minds that do not honor God?

Most never ask pastors these questions assuming the best. Often we pastors can compromise and drift privately. I've heard the tale too many times. I do not want to be one of those statistics. The consequences are too devastating.

When I think about the two fallen pastors I read about I do not cast stones. But for the grace of God there go I. I hurt for them. Forever their names and ministries will be tarnished. I hurt for them, their families and for their congregations. I hurt for the thousands who followed them in other ways.

Satan is a deceiver. He tempts. He allures. He entices. He never brings up the consequences. Just the thrill, the satisfaction, and the fleeting pleasure of sin. His intent is to destroy.

So church members, don't be afraid to ask your pastor some tough questions. And above all else pray pray for them. David had a group of elite soldiers he called his mighty men. I wish every pastor, especially me, had a group of committed people to pray for them daily for protection from falling into disgrace. Maybe if we had that, memorized Scripture and had people to hold us accountable fewer of us would fall into disrepute and the church would thrive.

Pastor's beware. We face a real enemy. He hates us. He schemes to take us down one by one. He has us in the crosshairs. But greater is He who is in us than He who is in the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment