Thursday, August 15, 2019

Jesus Allows U Turns

I am saddened today. Saddened by people I love, people I pray for, people I invested in, people I served Jesus right along side but who have fallen away from the faith. They are not alone. There is a great falling away from the faith. A famous pastor and author recently resigned from his church and went further by publicly resigning from his faith. I just read an article about a famous worship leader and song writer who denounced his faith publicly leaving he makes confused and bewildered.

This is not anything new. We read in the Bible Judas turned away. Paul wrote about Demas turning away because he loved the present world. The prodigal son left his faith for a season. It grieves me when people I know turn away. People who were once in my flock under my watch care. When they turn their backs on Jesus who put His back on a cross for their salvation they have forgotten the depths of His love and mercy . I have seen people shun Jesus and holiness while embracing immorality and hypocrisy. Bibles get shoved and tucked away and modern morality standards replace Bible truth.

I am not angry. Far from it. I am grieved. The grief is like a sick feeling in my gut. A deep sorrow weighs heavy. I cannot just pretend or ignore this reality. Once strong passionate followers of Jesus have renounced all of it bringing shame to the church and to Jesus for the fleeting pleasures of sin. It is fleeting. Temporary. Momentary. Brief. Eternity is everlastingly long. What am I to do? Forget them? Forget the lives they once lived for Jesus? Forget the ones I love? I cannot. I dare not.

While reading my Bible yesterday I came across a passage that shocked me to my senses. I read over the passage twice thinking about those I know who have fallen away from the faith. Deeply saddened and grieved I see how Satan deceives, disillusions and distracts people away from the faith. Others see it too.

Hebrews 3:12-15 (ESV)
12  Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God.
13  But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.
14  For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end.
15  As it is said, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.”

Hard truth for hard hearts. We are called to exhort one another so that our fellow believers are not hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. Make no mistake. Sin is deceitful. It promises fulfillment, joy, and satisfaction. It never delivers. For the once follower of Jesus sin only produces temporary pleasure followed by shame, remorse and condemnation.

Many months ago I crossed paths with a believer who fell away. It was the first time we had seen each other in well over a year. Small talk was exchanged until I asked, "Where are you with Jesus?" This person responded with, "No beating around the bush with you. You go straight to it." My question did not get answered as the conversation deflected to other items. As our time to depart neared I only had one final comment for my friend. "Jesus allows U turns."

What I meant is Jesus allows people to repent and return. Jesus' grace is big enough to cover falling away. His mercy is big enough to cover moral mistakes. His love covers a multitudes of sin. May He hold us firmly in the faith to the end of our days. If we fall away, may He remind us He allows U turns!

No comments:

Post a Comment