Thursday, August 1, 2019

Only Two Left

Brenda and I drove over for midweek Bible study last night unsure of what to expect. We heard only a handful came for those studies.  Over the past decade we have grown accustomed to small crowds while ministering the word of God. It didn't phase us. We were just happy to be there. That study would be my first official public ministry as new pastor. Excitement filled my heart. God's message burned in my heart and I longed eagerly to share it.

When we walked into the building several congregated in the lobby. One lady found some pictures from way back in the past 24 years ago when Taylor was born. I looked hideous. I can't believe I ever wore the shirts I had on in those pictures. A little embarrassing as those pictures were passed around the room.

As time neared to begin we made our way back to a classroom. At the front of the room sat a small table and chair. I felt a little awkward not just wanting to assume that is where I needed to sit. I started to sit down next to Brenda but they all told me my chair was up front.

By this time around eight people assembled. In walked another and then another. People had to start shuffling closer together. Another couple came in leaving only two seats behind the door. One lady commented she had prayed for me and the first night. She added that I should feel honored that all those people showed up. Truth is I felt honored even if the crowd had been half the size. I am just honored to serve here.

For the next 45 minutes we dug into the scriptures. Verse by verse. We exchanged points of view. I taught but always love teaching in those formats because I love the feedback and interaction of the congregation. They were engaged and God's truth both convicted and encouraged.

We capped off our time with a prayer meeting. What sweet prayers were lifted to the Father. I can't help but feel so grateful that God chose Brenda and I to come back to what feels like our home church in many ways. We of course grew up in different places and each have our own home church. This is home now. Spring Creek Baptist Church is where we belong. Sure we will miss folks at Heritage. This is our home now though.

Over the span of our ministry we will make many memories. We will encounter God together in significant ways. We will rejoice. No doubt we will most likely cry together too. I will always cherish the memory of my first Wednesday night teaching as pastor of Spring Creek. A night to remember when we only had two vacant chairs left in the room. People excitedly talked about what we would do if it got any bigger.

As for me, I content myself to  let God move at His pace. I feel no need to rush and yet my mind is whirling with ideas. O how I pray and long for the day when there are only two seats left in the sanctuary that seats 400. I have seen this place packed for funerals. I trust God for the day when it will be packed for hearing the word of God and for worship. May it be so Lord. May it be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment