Brenda and I sat in my office yesterday before the start of our connection classes. I perused my Bible and Brenda looked on her computer. Without warning we were hit with another trial that buckled us. We did not see it coming. It blindsided us. We sat stunned. We had a decision to make. Did we give into anxiety, fear, anger, or submit to peace, faith, hope, and endurance?
We chose to put it out of our minds and move on through the rest of the day. This morning I prayerfully chose to cast that care onto the Lord. I laid it at His feet. It is not the first time we have faced tests. I am sure it will not be the last time.
Fast forward to this afternoon. I listened to the a podcast where I heard the phrase, "I traced God's hand of faithfulness." I wrote a book in 2008 titled, Behold the Faithfulness of God, all about the bountiful ways God has shown Himself faithful to Brenda and I. Not just the two of us, but for all of His people throughout history. Over and over again, sometimes at the last moment, God has shown Himself reliable. He has answered prayers in His timing and in His ways. It has not been the journey I would have chosen for myself as as freshman Bible student at Howard Payne University. It is the one God chose for us.
God's journey for Brenda and I has been filled with unexpected turns. It is hard to write, and for many who will read this it will be harder to believe, I've carried a desire to serve one church for 20-30 years. The longest I served any church was six years. I don't understand why we have moved so much. I know at least one of those moves was a mistake on my part. I totally misread God's leading. I've repented and lived in regret for a long time. I realize my mistake hurt my family and many others close to us. For many years afterward it felt like I lived in a spiritual wilderness. I battled deep depression that plagued me for several years. Even in that God was faithful. One prayer time and one verse brought me out of that depression. God did not forsake me.
God has been faithful to meet financial needs and material needs. God has provided things from vehicles to furniture. He sent financial provision at those crisis moments when all of our hard work and salaries could not meet the unexpected needs that arose. You have heard many of those stories. When we needed a vehicle for Brenda recently and prayed for over a year for a debt free vehicle, God provided one. A very nice top of the line 2013 Ford Edge. No debt. He worked again to provide a 2012 Nissan Armada that we gave to Tanner to replace his worn out car. He has done that nine times in our marriage. We ask Him to do it again. That is tracing God's hand of faithfulness.
He has provided places for us to live. Our current home is no mansion, but it is the right home for us. I have asked God for well over a year to pay our house off early. We hate debt and have very little. Our home is the one exception. We have traced His hand of provision and faithfulness on two occasions in our past when someone paid our house payments one for a year and a half and the other for four years without us asking. Unbelievable. That is tracing the God's hand of faithfulness. It encourages faith and inspires hope.
Our trial is still there. So is our God. What God has done in the past we trust He will do again in the present and in the future. I hope that you will do the same. Look back in your past and trace God's hand of faithfulness. He will be reliable in your present and future. He is trustworthy. He will come through in His time and in His way.
No comments:
Post a Comment